Tangs won't eat Nori

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was given my setup it came with two tangs, a sailfin and a yellow. They had not been fed Nori. They eat like champs but only flake food. The previous owner always fed the protein based flakes not the veggie. Is there a trick to get them to eat nori after this long? Right now they just ignore it.

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang wouldn't eat nori at first either and I had to go through a couple different kinds before I found one he liked. How are you placing it in the tank? Are you ising a nori clip or a rubber banding it to a rock. If you rubberband it to a rock try putting it in different locations. If using a nori clip try putting it down low in the middle and up at the top of the tank. Might also want to try puttig it in a spot with low flow as the nori moving in the flow might scare them.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya just gotta leave it in the tank for them on a clip. They will check it out sooner or later.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try soaking it in garlic before putting it in the tank. Also, as stated you can try different kinds. Mine wouldn't eat the first couple of batches I tried. I went thru red, brown and green. They finally tried one of them and they now will eat any of them. Actually my powder blue will only eat nori. I can get him to eat any kind of frozen or flake food.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have tangs that would not eat nori . What I did was take plant life out of refuge and put it in tank they loved it.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rub it between your fingers under water to break in little pieces. They should eat, they are just used to eating from water column. From that point forward they should eat from clip.

Last edited:

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue doesnt eat nori either, havent had for a couple of years now... but I do supplement with a variety of pellets/frozen food fortified with all types of algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back