2 no 3 finned fire fish

snwmnky007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell me have you seen a two finned fire fish? I have not.
I wish I could breed it but he kills any other fire fish I put in.
image.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This usually isnt a genetic trait, when seen in firefish it is most often a result from an injury earlier in life and heals and grows in a separate manner.

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish has a fin like that. I haven't added any other fish with him yet. I thought he was a peaceful fish to add into the aquarium first?

Sent from my iPad using REEF2REEF

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was like that for about a month after I found him in the overflow. It healed up though

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish has a fin like that. I haven't added any other fish with him yet. I thought he was a peaceful fish to add into the aquarium first?

Sent from my iPad using REEF2REEF

From my understanding they will be aggressive to any new addition of the same species. I added 3 at the same time and have no issues.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding they will be aggressive to any new addition of the same species. I added 3 at the same time and have no issues.

Double

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Highly likely you will be down to one within the first 6 months of ownership unless you have a really large tank. Fire fish should only be kept as singles

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly likely you will be down to one within the first 6 months of ownership unless you have a really large tank. Fire fish should only be kept as singles

They can be kept in pairs, but its difficult to get a pair without getting a group that will whittle down to a pair. For as long as they have been in the hobby and with how common they are, there is still alot we dont know about them. An important aspect as far aspairing them goes that is not known is whether they are born male or fema(like cardinalfish) or whether they are protogynous( like anthias and wrasses) or protandrous(like clownfish) hermaphrodites.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two months and no issues.

OP
OP
snwmnky007

snwmnky007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added three to see if I could get a pair 10 months ago.

This guys has had the fins like this since I recieved him last year.

First three months there were no issues but then he killed off both others over three months. He's with a rainsford gobies and a scooter Bennie in my planted 30 gal tank below my 40 breeder mixed reef.

In the pic you can see a third growth on the first fin. I understand if it is not genetic, it's still cool, thanks for the comments.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months and no issues.

Just give it a little time and you will have issues... If you don't want to kill two fire fish you need to take two of them out.

As for the fin, doubtful it's genetic. I also don't know of any successful fire fish breeding programs.

tlove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pair of fire fish, put them in my tank as a pair a different times, they live paired off as they were introduced but with no hostilities towards each other. 4 happy fire fish :)

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 4. They all fought at first with two getting the worst of it. One was killed by the alpha. The remaining 3 settled in with one having it's fin ripped apart like the one in the op's photo. Then one day the bully couldn't deal with the guilt of his previous murderous ways and ended his life on my hardwood floors. The remaining two now live in peace and harmony although the torn fins have barely heeled even after almost a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
snwmnky007

snwmnky007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pair of fire fish, put them in my tank as a pair a different times, they live paired off as they were introduced but with no hostilities towards each other. 4 happy fire fish :)
To have one pair awesome but two. Great find!

I started with 4. They all fought at first with two getting the worst of it. One was killed by the alpha. The remaining 3 settled in with one having it's fin ripped apart like the one in the op's photo. Then one day the bully couldn't deal with the guilt of his previous murderous ways and ended his life on my hardwood floors. The remaining two now live in peace and harmony although the torn fins have barely heeled even after almost a year.
Great story, any pics?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back