Coolest nano fish?

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 29gal with 2 ocellaris, a pom pom crab and a couple different types of coral, what is the coolest reef safe, invert safe fish you could get for a nano reef?
~thatfishnerd

marineman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flameback pygmy angel (some may say that's too small a tank, but I had several that did very well for a long time)
Starry-eye blenny
Clowns (which you already have)
Any number of gobies (I like Court Jester and Hectors)
Firefish

Here are a few more options:
Nano Fish

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Citron Goby(Gobiodon Citrinus)

Here is mine hanging out on the glass
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411745939.505756.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink streak wrasse looks awesome but I can't find anywhere local that has it, what other wrasses do you like in a nano? Dottybacks? Basslets? Thanks for taking time to help me out!!
~Thatfishnerd

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand gobys! Not much to look at, but super entertaining :) they have great personality. I have 2 in a 5gal and they don't bother each other. One is fully grown at almost 2 inches, the other about 1 inch.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411817068.833613.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411817167.452566.jpg

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my pajama cardinal..

I also have a 29 gal tank... funny thing is I do not see it as a nano tank since this is an upgrade from my 4 gallon :)

OP
OP
T

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 29 gal tank... funny thing is I do not see it as a nano tank since this is an upgrade from my 4 gallon :)
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Gumdrop Coral Croucher (he is the fish in my icon)

That is awesome!! Do you have any experience with them? Where do you purchase them? Any special care?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink streak wrasse looks awesome but I can't find anywhere local that has it, what other wrasses do you like in a nano? Dottybacks? Basslets? Thanks for taking time to help me out!!
~Thatfishnerd

If you cant find it local liveaquaria almost always has them

if you do get one, they are a very very shy fish at first... I didnt see mine for over a month after I added him to my tank but he went to a 180g and just recently went to my 40g. its been 3 weeks I have seen him probably 4-5 times and I have had this fish a few years.
when looking for fish for a small tank I would strongly consider agression. I always recomend looking for peacefull fish

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm,
I've been researching the coral crouchers, they seem awesome but they are starting to look pretty hard to take care of due to them being very passive and reclusive. Unfortunately, I am still a high schooler so I can't really do much in the way of ordering online until summer... I am always taking into consideration the full "stats" on the fish, I look at reef safe, invert safe, aggression, and care level. What dottyback, blenny or basslet would you recommend?
Thanks!
~thatfishnerd

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

That is awesome!! Do you have any experience with them? Where do you purchase them? Any special care?

Hmmmmm,
I've been researching the coral crouchers, they seem awesome but they are starting to look pretty hard to take care of due to them being very passive and reclusive. Unfortunately, I am still a high schooler so I can't really do much in the way of ordering online until summer... I am always taking into consideration the full "stats" on the fish, I look at reef safe, invert safe, aggression, and care level. What dottyback, blenny or basslet would you recommend?
Thanks!
~thatfishnerd

I purchased a pair from LiveAquaria Divers Den. The female passed away while in quarantine. The male is a fantastic little fish. Yes, they do like to hide and will hide in the weirdest spots. I do have to spot feed him as they do not like to venture out (not to mention mine is in a corner right now). He likes big chunky foods, I feed him mysis and sometimes larger things if I have them on hand. I have no problems whatsoever with other fish and inverts as far as I know. Sometimes these fish can bother corals if they make their home in a coral, but otherwise completely coral safe. They stay small, only ~1-1.5". I seriously love my little guy, sometimes he is a pain when he makes his home in awkward places for me to feed him (and he will get the message by going hungry for a day or two). So overall the only special care is spot feeding.

Since you seem to be shying away from the croucher, which I can understand, they are not for everyone, I think a chalk basslet might be nice. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Chalk Bass
And there is lots of nano fish here- Nano Fish

Good luck in your search! Crouchers are not big yet in the hobby, so let me know if you need anymore help with them =)

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 29gal with 2 ocellaris, a pom pom crab and a couple different types of coral, what is the coolest reef safe, invert safe fish you could get for a nano reef?
~thatfishnerd

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. I just started a 29G Biocube with two ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp and was trying to decide my next fish to add.

I like the Goby/Shrimp combo but can't decide.

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Thanks for starting it. I just started a 29G Biocube with two ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp and was trying to decide my next fish to add.

I like the Goby/Shrimp combo but can't decide.

Had this in my Nano tank. I never saw the pair, so much to the point I just assumed the lobster I have ate them. Unfortunately for the goby, this was true, but the red banded shrimp made it to my 110 gal tank. Once again I never see it. Buddy of mine who just bought a pair for his nano cube is also having the same experience with seeing nothing other than the hole they dig.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this in my Nano tank. I never saw the pair, so much to the point I just assumed the lobster I have ate them. Unfortunately for the goby, this was true, but the red banded shrimp made it to my 110 gal tank. Once again I never see it. Buddy of mine who just bought a pair for his nano cube is also having the same experience with seeing nothing other than the hole they dig.

Yes, this was also my wife's concern. She didn't want to spend money on a fish that we would never see. I agree but think the bond between them is cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back