Coolest nano fish?

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby shrimp pairs are great. I've had mine for over a year and a half. Yes, the do move around a lot but in a 20, they are usually visible. Green banded goby are also pretty cool. I recently added on to my tank to go with the shrimp/goby and a bi color blennie. They are very social and will come out to see you when you go near the tank. I cleaned some in the tank today and he followed my hand around in the tank the entire time.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the Yasha goby and Flame Prawn goby but lately I've been really enjoying my Ruby Red dragonet pair in my 27g. Don't mind the base rock that's curing, he's camera shy so it's the best I could get.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412033434.952073.jpg

OP
OP
T

thatfishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a pair from LiveAquaria Divers Den. The female passed away while in quarantine. The male is a fantastic little fish. Yes, they do like to hide and will hide in the weirdest spots. I do have to spot feed him as they do not like to venture out (not to mention mine is in a corner right now). He likes big chunky foods, I feed him mysis and sometimes larger things if I have them on hand. I have no problems whatsoever with other fish and inverts as far as I know. Sometimes these fish can bother corals if they make their home in a coral, but otherwise completely coral safe. They stay small, only ~1-1.5". I seriously love my little guy, sometimes he is a pain when he makes his home in awkward places for me to feed him (and he will get the message by going hungry for a day or two). So overall the only special care is spot feeding.

Since you seem to be shying away from the croucher, which I can understand, they are not for everyone, I think a chalk basslet might be nice. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Chalk Bass
And there is lots of nano fish here- Nano Fish

Good luck in your search! Crouchers are not big yet in the hobby, so let me know if you need anymore help with them =)

I might have to take you up on that later, I'm loving the coral Croucher, if I ever get a pico, that'll definitely be the fish I get for it.

Candy Bass of course! Mine loves his 8g Nuvo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412035406.016237.jpg
The candy bass is one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen but it would kinda break the bank...
Thanks for everyone input!!

~Sean

914joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my group in my 29 biocube. They are all my favorites and get along good. In the center under the Hawkins is Possum wrasse, right center is Trimma goby(blue flag tail), and the bottom is pigmy Angel, Court Jester goby, Yellow coris wrasse. The yellow wrasse is the one that will eventually get to big and need to be moved.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412077901.113097.jpg

benzc01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi firefish, tailspot blennys, blue dot jawfish if tank is covered, there is really no wrong with gobies and blennys there alot of fun to watch

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know it was mentionjed before but tailspot blenny. great personality!! a close second for me would be the bi-color blenny.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor is a little fighter. He attacks anything that I put in the tank. Everyday he bites the eye dropper I feed with. After I remove it, he perches on his favorite montipora then eats. He's hilarious. Every time I do maintenance he bites me, and each time I jump and then laugh about it. It's ridiculous and comical.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor is a little fighter. He attacks anything that I put in the tank. Everyday he bites the eye dropper I feed with. After I remove it, he perches on his favorite montipora then eats. He's hilarious. Every time I do maintenance he bites me, and each time I jump and then laugh about it. It's ridiculous and comical.

Reading this I imagined this, but with your blenny.
oh-you-15729.jpg

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My bi color scared the crap out of me and vice versa yesterday. I pulled a big rock out to scrub some algae off of it forgetting that's where he sleeps. Anyways, I turned the rock over and saw something wiggling out very fast at me. For some reason, all I could think was BRISTLE WORM! (and I had gloves on). Needless to say, I dropped the rock in the bucket. Thank god he hit the water first and went to the bottom and didn't get crushed. (there was another rock in the bucket).

If you've never seen a ticked off bi color, their colors are absolutely brilliant when they are mad or stressed or whatever you want to call it. They get these crazy white features along their face and side and their orange tail gets these wicked stripes on it. Lesson learned, thank goodness not the hard or bad way.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this I imagined this, but with your blenny. oh-you-15729.jpg
That pretty much sums it up!
My bi color scared the crap out of me and vice versa yesterday. I pulled a big rock out to scrub some algae off of it forgetting that's where he sleeps. Anyways, I turned the rock over and saw something wiggling out very fast at me. For some reason, all I could think was BRISTLE WORM! (and I had gloves on). Needless to say, I dropped the rock in the bucket. Thank god he hit the water first and went to the bottom and didn't get crushed. (there was another rock in the bucket).

If you've never seen a ticked off bi color, their colors are absolutely brilliant when they are mad or stressed or whatever you want to call it. They get these crazy white features along their face and side and their orange tail gets these wicked stripes on it. Lesson learned, thank goodness not the hard or bad way.
Yeah mine changes color from time to time. The white spots freaked me out when I first put him in the tank but now I've come to realize it's all just part of his spitfire personality. They are a really cool fish though he torments my firefish. I've never seen a firefish be aggressive but the other day he had enough and squared of with the blenny then darted off under my clam where he sleeps. It didn't change things though it's still the blenny's tank and he says who gets to come and go and when

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really weird how different some fish are of the exact same species. My Blenny has been a model citizen. I have a green banded goby and a high fin red banded goby and have never seen them quarrel.

That pretty much sums it up!

Yeah mine changes color from time to time. The white spots freaked me out when I first put him in the tank but now I've come to realize it's all just part of his spitfire personality. They are a really cool fish though he torments my firefish. I've never seen a firefish be aggressive but the other day he had enough and squared of with the blenny then darted off under my clam where he sleeps. It didn't change things though it's still the blenny's tank and he says who gets to come and go and when

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say a firefish for their beauty and how unique they look, a jawfish for a wonderful personality, a royal gramma for how intriguing and graceful they are, or a beautiful damsel ( If by themselves ). Clowns are always great. Maybe a pygmy wrasse, or a orange stripe prawn for how awesome they look when their dorsal fin is displayed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back