Checkout my new Goldflake angel fish

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went down to the LFS to get a orange spot samd sifter and saw this baby-been wanting one for a hole and it was the perfect size :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone. i noticed my sailfin tang is harassing him a little bit (shadowing him around the tank). i originally put the tang in there for algae control because he is a good grazer but if he keeps it up he is gona get evicted-lol. the goldflake is staying

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! Let us know how he behaves in your tank, I'm sure many of would like to know. This is one of my favorite angels and would love to add one but have always erred on the side of caution due to many LPS and z's n p's in the tank.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish and the 'shrooms in the pic aren't half bad themselves :)

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Goldflake, does he pick at the shrooms or any of your corals? I would love to own one!!

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! Let us know how he behaves in your tank, I'm sure many of would like to know. This is one of my favorite angels and would love to add one but have always erred on the side of caution due to many LPS and z's n p's in the tank.

so far so good. initially he was being harassed by my sailfin tang (the sailfin acts dominant to all the fish in the tank since he has always been the largest in the tank also). but i think he has re-established the "pecking order" and chooses where he feels like grazing (i actually seen him turn his tail to the tang and shove the tang out of his zone-lol). my goldflake has a great appetite- i feed the tank twice a day right now just so i can be certain he is getting plenty of food as i have heard these fish can be fairly sensitive and if they dont eat enough they will usually die withing the first couple weeks. he isnt shy at all either. he grazes the tank all day picking at the algae (what little there is-lol-proud of that accomplishment). and thus far no polyp eating or mushroom nipping tendencies at all. he picks at the frag pads around the zoas to get little nips of algae tho

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Goldflake, does he pick at the shrooms or any of your corals? I would love to own one!!

nope...no picking at the corals so far. im making sure there are plenty of other food sources though just to be sure :) but so far i havnt even seen him take a single snip at any of the corals

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried to remove the sailfin tang from the tank the other night on monday because i just wanted to provide more room to roam for the goldflake and i also want to get another highend fish or 2 for the tank and dont want them to go through the harassment from the tang, and since the goldflake seems to be doing an adequate job of grazing the algae i figure i dont need 2 grazers since my tank is only a 66gallon (32L X 24W X 20D) with somewhat minimal rock scapeing so as to have lots of swimming room for the fish. but i was unable to capture the tang on monday so figured would try again later in the week or set a food trap for him type thing....well on tuesday when i got home i noticed the sailfin had little white dots all over him and i was thinking that the stress of trying to catch him must of gave him ich?? seems odd that it would happen overnight but i more used to hardy fish for coral reefs and never really had to many saltwater fish in general (mostly reefs, and reef functional fish). so of course im panicking at this point so i immediately went commando and moved some rocks off other rocks to the bottom of the tank so i could catch the tank...he wasnt fooled by the net so i ultimately caught him with my hand. i stacked the rocks back up and fed the fish in hopes to calm the nerves. im treating the sailfin in a quarantine tank and will be donating him when im done getting him back to health. so far no issues with the rest of the fish so hopefully i averted disaster

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the continued harassment and having to remove him, as well as the possibility of ich. I'll pass along an LFS owner taught me several years ago, who has been in the business of saltwater only for over 30yrs. If a fish is still eating mix a paste of a frozen food, such as mysis, garlic guard, vitamins and metronidazole ( i always use Seachem). Feed once a day for 7-10 days and you should cure your problem. I would also feed this as a prophylactic to the other fish in case it had time to spread. It is safe to use in a reef and will not harm any inhabitants. Directions call to use it with Focus which is a binder, but i have used without in a pinch without issues.

I know your pain of adding a fish only to find harassment. Purchased a Blonde Naso and my Fowler's is being the aggressor. Is making me extremely upset right now, but I have a couple of plans in mind. Just seeing which one would benefit the Naso more before pulling the trigger, so to speak.

Good luck and keep us updated!

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrrrggggg!!!! I got home tonight and sure enough its confirmed-the rest if my fish are now showing the white spots :( that **** tang jacked up my tank. I starts treating it with kordon 100% natural reef safe "ich attack" treatment. I'm gona try the suggestion bill (thanks bill) on top of the other stuff. I'm super hesitant to use anything foreign in the tank since I have lots of high end corals but 2 of my LFS said that the kordon all natural shouldn't hurt the coral but they weren't sure how effective it would be. 1 of them said he went through a similar scenario and he ended up pulling everything out if the tank (rocK, sand, everything) that seems extreme for me since I only have 5 total fish but I guess I wil just have to wait and see. 2 years of reefing under my belt and I never had Ich or any catostophic tank crash-would have to happen right after I finally finished my new set up and everything was all dialed in

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have come in with the Angel though. It's not just a Tangs that carry Ich. Stress lowers immunity...chasing the Tang around probably stressed the rest of the tank out.

If it gets bad, a QT is the way to go. Hypo or copper CURE Ich. All this other "all natural" stuff might help with slime coat, but it will not cure the Ich.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have come in with the Angel though. It's not just a Tangs that carry Ich. Stress lowers immunity...chasing the Tang around probably stressed the rest of the tank out.

If it gets bad, a QT is the way to go. Hypo or copper CURE Ich. All this other "all natural" stuff might help with slime coat, but it will not cure the Ich.

Never dealt with Ich before. i will have to look up the copper thing

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hyposalinity is better if you have a refractometer and a large enough QT to keep the salinity stable. Copper is basically a poison and while it works well for Ich, it stresses the fish.

Cool Angel too. I hope it works out for all involved.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about the break out of ich. I agree it could have came in on the angel, but stressing the tank attempting to catch the tang has been the stressor.

I agree with treating and Qting in hypo salinity rather than copper. To me that is a last ditch effort. I would Qt and proceed with the feeding regiment that I mentioned earlier. Also there are antiparasitic frozen foods available by Dr. G's. If you're able to locate it give it a try as well. I have a friend that swears by it!

Keep us updated, hope everything turns out well!

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about the break out of ich. I agree it could have came in on the angel, but stressing the tank attempting to catch the tang has been the stressor.

I agree with treating and Qting in hypo salinity rather than copper. To me that is a last ditch effort. I would Qt and proceed with the feeding regiment that I mentioned earlier. Also there are antiparasitic frozen foods available by Dr. G's. If you're able to locate it give it a try as well. I have a friend that swears by it!

Keep us updated, hope everything turns out well!

my biggest issue right now is o dont even have a quarantine tank other than an old 20 gallon i have in the garage that i could put some of the aquarium water into :( im trying to treat the tank with the 100% natural along with the paste technique you suggested (Im mushing frozen mysis, galic seaweed, and the metronidazole im mashing up into a powder and letting the food soak in it). im putting just a little food at a time so all the fish all stay to the top of the tank wherei can actualy see they are eating it and since om only putting a little in at a time they are competing for it so its getting gobbled up quickly-hopefully before all the medicine washes off in the water). i cant seem to find the dr g anti parasitic in any of my LFS (and there are about 7 of them so im surprized nobody carries it) and unfortunatley you cant buy it through the internet. i was considering trying the new "ick shield" by new life spectrum in the 1mm pellet form but alot of people are saying their fish only eat it once or twice then ignore it-leave it to a fish to be to stupid to not jump out of a tank...but smart enough to know when your feeding them medicated food-lol- doh!!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 40 28.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back