Lionfish Tank mate?

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my classroom I have a 75g display with a 20g sump. In this tank I have about 100 lbs of LR and a BEAUTIFUL Lionfish. I used to have an eel but it died a year ago over Thanksgiving and I also had a Spotted Puffer that developed the oddest skin disease and died over Christmas a year ago.

This Lion has been with me for almost 2 years and is almost a foot long. Wonderful appetite, eyesight is a little "off" for some reason but respects me when I'm feeding or cleaning the tank and has never offended me except he ate a hawkfish I thought would stay out of his way!

The LFS has a Sea Goblin in and I was wondering if that would make a good tank mate for the Lion. I figure the Sea Goblin has it's own venomous defense, it hides in the sand AND my Lion doesn't have the best eyesight.

What are your thoughts? If it's a "no" to the Sea Goblin, what other choice would you offer besides the typical Predator Tank setups out there?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it, putting what sounds like two aggressive fish together is like putting two bullies together only ones gonna walk out.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put other Predator fish in there, granted they are big enough so the Lionfish can't eat it. Maybe some larger fish only wrasses or if the tank is big enough, a trigger, like a pink tail or blue jaw. They are fairly calm in temperament.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the large predators! If the lion can fit them in his mouth they are gone. Better go with a larger one, I would suggest a wrasse, they are fast and could stay out of his way if needed. just my 2cents

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, you can add some beauty with those larger wrasses, as there are so many with different colors and patterns.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt add anything. your going to need a bigger tank before too long

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank in balance right now, had some GHA for awhile after the fish/eel death so I have been happy with just the lionfish to keep up with. Thought of selling him and getting a school of green chromis etc to add more movement in my classroom but the kids really enjoy the lion especially at feeding time. My Pastor visits at least once a week just to come feed the guy, the lion knows him and gets very excited when he's in the room!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I wouldn't go with a bunch of Chromis, as they are known to kill each other off until you have a nice pair of them :) Happened to me and several other people I know. However....I've seen people on R2R with schools of Chromis as well, so its hard to say. I'd still recommend some wrasses....very active, very colorful fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back