Lionfish Venom

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t confuse the normal effect of venom with the anaphylaxis. Heat can disrupt the venom, but may not destroy the allergy-triggering antigen on the peptide. So if you are not allergic, the heat (etc.) should work. If you are allergic, what you are reacting to on the venom peptide may or may not be disrupted by the heat.

Immunology and antibodies are pretty complicated, but many proteins/peptides are similar between species, including venoms. If the peptides are similar enough, it may be that exposure to foxface venom sensitized you to the venom, which then cross-reacted with the lionfish venom.

As above, wear arm length gloves if you must keep the venomous fish. Have the epipen with you whenever working on the tank.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t confuse the normal effect of venom with the anaphylaxis. Heat can disrupt the venom, but may not destroy the allergy-triggering antigen on the peptide. So if you are not allergic, the heat (etc.) should work. If you are allergic, what you are reacting to on the venom peptide may or may not be disrupted by the heat.

Immunology and antibodies are pretty complicated, but many proteins/peptides are similar between species, including venoms. If the peptides are similar enough, it may be that exposure to foxface venom sensitized you to the venom, which then cross-reacted with the lionfish venom.

As above, wear arm length gloves if you must keep the venomous fish. Have the epipen with you whenever working on the tank.
Yes correct, thats why I posted about it seems how Im allergic just to make people aware of what an allergic reaction to the venom is vs just the venom in someone who isnt allergic :)

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a horrible day. I was adding some rock to the tank and just waived my hand in the direction of my volitan to get him to move.

Usually Parthanaxx (the lion) is a super shy lion. Not sure why but he is very shy of people. But today he decided to ram my hand while doing this. Out of character for him for sure, I was surprised. One spike got me on my finger. One tiny spike. Most people describe lionfish venom stings as bee stings.

Well THAT WAS NOT THE CASE FOR ME.

I felt like lava was in my blood. In the first 30 seconds I started noticing my breathing being hard. My throat was swelling and I felt like I was breathing through a pin hole. A few seconds later my whole body went numb and tingly. Vision blurred. I honestly was scared I wasnt going to make it. Now Im a first responder. I run, and have ran towards shooters and dangerous situations. But this was different. I couldnt do anything. My boyfriend had to call 911.

I was taken code 10 (lights and sirens) to the nearest hospital. Put on oxygen in the ambulance, hit with a full dose of liquid Benadryl and two epi pens. By the time I got to the hospital I was so panicked and unable to breathe and was given medicine to make me drowsey while they worked to get my swelling down. Eventually the breathing evened out and I got feeling back. They numbed my finger and arm where the venom was. They took an xray of my hand to see if the spike was still there. I have swelling in my throat and chest pain still, so I was given an EKG and a chest xray. Thankfully all came back clear and they think I will be okay with some medicine to keep the swelling in my chest and lungs in check. Also prescribed an epi pen.

I just got home after an 8 hour stay in the ER.

This was all from the tip of my volitan lionfish’s spine. Just one and not even that deep of a sting. But Im deathly allergic to the venom according to the doctor.

When I bought my lions I knew I would be stung at some point, and was willing to take the risk. Ive got no allergies that I know (knew) of.

The reason Im posting this is to warn lion owners or new/potential lion owners to be aware that an allergic reaction is very serious and it acts FAST.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to put this out there as something for a new/potential lionfish owner to be aware of as I think stories like this are important to share with others as warnings and something to be aware of.

Thanks for reading yall :)
Thank you for sharing I have always wondered what a lion sting was like. They have been one of my favorite fish since seeing them in an aquarium in the early 80’s. We currently care for a breeding bonded pair of volitans and have our hands in the tank weekly.

I’m going to use the information from your post to talk to our health provider about giving me an epi pen to keep on hand.

Once again thank you for the share, I hope others find you post as helpful as I have.

Cheers,
Nick

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing I have always wondered what a lion sting was like. They have been one of my favorite fish since seeing them in an aquarium in the early 80’s. We currently care for a breeding bonded pair of volitans and have our hands in the tank weekly.

I’m going to use the information from your post to talk to our health provider about giving me an epi pen to keep on hand.

Once again thank you for the share, I hope others find you post as helpful as I have.

Cheers,
Nick
Thank you that was the hope. Just to clarify the reaction was an allergic reaction to the venom not that the venom does this to everyone, in fact the reaction I had was very rare. Like others have said the usual reaction is just pain from the venom and to get hot water on it ASAP to stop the venom and the pain and they usually are fine :)

jwill4400

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a horrible day. I was adding some rock to the tank and just waived my hand in the direction of my volitan to get him to move.

Usually Parthanaxx (the lion) is a super shy lion. Not sure why but he is very shy of people. But today he decided to ram my hand while doing this. Out of character for him for sure, I was surprised. One spike got me on my finger. One tiny spike. Most people describe lionfish venom stings as bee stings.

Well THAT WAS NOT THE CASE FOR ME.

I felt like lava was in my blood. In the first 30 seconds I started noticing my breathing being hard. My throat was swelling and I felt like I was breathing through a pin hole. A few seconds later my whole body went numb and tingly. Vision blurred. I honestly was scared I wasnt going to make it. Now Im a first responder. I run, and have ran towards shooters and dangerous situations. But this was different. I couldnt do anything. My boyfriend had to call 911.

I was taken code 10 (lights and sirens) to the nearest hospital. Put on oxygen in the ambulance, hit with a full dose of liquid Benadryl and two epi pens. By the time I got to the hospital I was so panicked and unable to breathe and was given medicine to make me drowsey while they worked to get my swelling down. Eventually the breathing evened out and I got feeling back. They numbed my finger and arm where the venom was. They took an xray of my hand to see if the spike was still there. I have swelling in my throat and chest pain still, so I was given an EKG and a chest xray. Thankfully all came back clear and they think I will be okay with some medicine to keep the swelling in my chest and lungs in check. Also prescribed an epi pen.

I just got home after an 8 hour stay in the ER.

This was all from the tip of my volitan lionfish’s spine. Just one and not even that deep of a sting. But Im deathly allergic to the venom according to the doctor.

When I bought my lions I knew I would be stung at some point, and was willing to take the risk. Ive got no allergies that I know (knew) of.

The reason Im posting this is to warn lion owners or new/potential lion owners to be aware that an allergic reaction is very serious and it acts FAST.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to put this out there as something for a new/potential lionfish owner to be aware of as I think stories like this are important to share with others as warnings and something to be aware of.

Thanks for reading yall :)
So glad your boyfriend was there! Yes please all be very careful. Thanks for sharing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back