Few random LPS ?'s

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few random questions about LPS and growth and such.

1) Kinda subjective but maybe with some peoples experiences. As with growth of chalice and favia. Will they grow faster/better if they are mounted to a rock or disk vs growing on the sand or glass. I guess do they utilize the rock or ceramic and build less of a skeleton as opposed to more skeleton when growing across a sand bed or glass?

2) I have 3 large chalice colonies on the bottom right of my 180 under reefbreeders leds peaking at 70b 20w and they are growing and look good under blue only but when the whites are on they have a clearing tint to them, expecially my oregon mummy eye which is no longer green but a 2 by 2 blob of orange, and under the whites it seems clear, but looks great when the blues are on am and pm. par seems to be about 85 down there.

3) how can i determine if chalice will fight with each other. i have had the 3 that are in my 180 next to each other and they dont fight. I have other frags in my frag tank and would like to mount them all on rocks to grow out into each pther but am curious to know how to tell if they will grow up against each other with out fighting. i would like to do the same with all the favias i have but am unsure how to tell if they will fight. i have 3 in my frag tank that are all different color variations of what looks like the same coral and they touch and dont fight, but i also have other favia that are of different species and i dont what them to kill each other off when they grow out.

4)will frogspawn hammer and touch fight with each other or can they be put in close proxy with each other. also how about blastos welsi and merletti?

thanks in advance

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first question on chalice and favia. I have seen both sand and rock. I think the only thing that matters is to be sure they are not getting too much light if on rocks. Both are low light. I keep both on sand bed. In my tank it is the lowest light. I can also move them to a different area, you loose that if mounted on live rock.

Euphyliia normally get along with each other except for torches. They are a hit or miss. One day gets along eith a hammer. The next attacking it. So torches should only be with torches. Frogspaw and hammer are ok. Can not answer about para types which are branching and walls.
Can't answer two. I do not use LED. Although mummy eye will turn orange if too much light. If you move to less light area it will return to green.

Chalices will fight with each other, except if maybe same species or sub-species. Just because they are ok now just means their sweepers have not been able to reach. Or they just don't feel threatened at the moment.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your reply. I have had snails push some favias and or chalices up against each other to the point where the flesh is touching over night while lights off and they havent sting, where as last week a snail pushed a micromusa into a meator shower caphestria and they fought it out. guess i will just have let them grow put and hope all is well. thanks again

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the chalices that I were talking about it now they look somewhat clear under whites
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428523960.717031.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back