How fast does leptastrea grow?

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two tiny frags of leptastrea on my LFS recommendation, one green centred and one orange centred, and I have attached the discs that they came on, to a rock mid-way up in my small tank.

So far I think they are great, the two colours contrast each other nicely and it will look even better as they grow and cover the rock. When I got them, they had started to grow, away from the small squares that were cut from a bigger piece to frag it, down and over the disc. In fact the orange one has gone over edge of the disc so should spread to my rock next.

So, I was wondering about actual growth rate. They seem happy, polyps always extended, and I think they are feeding from the frozen food I feed my fish, as the particles drift by. So what growth rate are they capable of? How do you usually measure it? Millimetres per month? :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two tiny frags of leptastrea on my LFS recommendation, one green centred and one orange centred, and I have attached the discs that they came on, to a rock mid-way up in my small tank.

So far I think they are great, the two colours contrast each other nicely and it will look even better as they grow and cover the rock. When I got them, they had started to grow, away from the small squares that were cut from a bigger piece to frag it, down and over the disc. In fact the orange one has gone over edge of the disc so should spread to my rock next.

So, I was wondering about actual growth rate. They seem happy, polyps always extended, and I think they are feeding from the frozen food I feed my fish, as the particles drift by. So what growth rate are they capable of? How do you usually measure it? Millimetres per month? :)
They can grow fast like encrusting montis

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find they grow pretty slowly, even in good conditions.

I have several and only one has started encrusting with any real significance

Nowhere near the speed of montis

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much slower than monti's in my experience. Really puzzled with those saying as fast as monti's.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all anecdotal, but my Lepta hasn't grown too quickly compared to my other encrusters. I'd say in my system it has grown about the same as my Jack O Lantern Lepto. Definitely a tad slower than my Stylocoeniella or Montis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back