Gonipora not opening after...

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a diamond goby. I put him in the tank, and the guy went to town sifting sand. The tank was cloudy for days regardless of how much extra filter I ran. It shows I obviously didn't clean the sand very well. Anyways, during that time, the goni closed up. The tank has been clear a week or so now and the goni is still closed up. Last one I had do that didn't open up and withered away. Anything I can do? I've cleaned all the sand off, skimmer is working extra hard, I clean out the filters as much as I can to keep things clean. Params are fine. All other corals are open and happy. Thanks in advance!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the gonipora. They are very finicky and will look fine one day. Then close up and you can notice they were actually receding for awhile. How long have you had the goni. Is it an encrusting or ball type?

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the gonipora. They are very finicky and will look fine one day. Then close up and you can notice they were actually receding for awhile. How long have you had the goni. Is it an encrusting or ball type?

Yes it is. I've had it...since Dec/Jan. Acclimated well. I'm bummed it hasn't opened and I don't want to loose this piece. It currently sits in the middle under the kessils, move it to the shaded area? Clarification on where to move it would be nice. :D

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni can adjust to med lighting but i think low-medium is better. The flow is very important. They like medium flow, about what you would give a euphyllia. A few months is not really a good indication if the goni has made the transition OK. They are like a puppy. They will look good but are actually not doing well. Then one day you say it was OK just yesterday. Photos of the coral would help. Also i find they do not like their flesh on sand bed. If on a decent plug the flesh is not near the sand bed. They are temperamental and i have had several for years. They are demanding and if not happy about anything will not adjust. Moving them around until it responds, which may take a few days to see.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni can adjust to med lighting but i think low-medium is better. The flow is very important. They like medium flow, about what you would give a euphyllia. A few months is not really a good indication if the goni has made the transition OK. They are like a puppy. They will look good but are actually not doing well. Then one day you say it was OK just yesterday. Photos of the coral would help. Also i find they do not like their flesh on sand bed. If on a decent plug the flesh is not near the sand bed. They are temperamental and i have had several for years. They are demanding and if not happy about anything will not adjust. Moving them around until it responds, which may take a few days to see.

It has been open up until I added the goby and he did his redecorating, so I assumed it has been happy. Only after the goby started stirring up the sand bed did the goni stop opening. I will move him over some. There isn't any indication of tissue recession, which I would imagine is a good thing. I will place him on a large disc that I have and go from there.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is that it was open a tiny bit yesterday. So I have high hopes that in a few days, maybe a week or so, that it will open back up to it's former glory.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's an update of the Goni referenced in the post.

This is all it has managed to open. Even after all this time. I've moved it in higher lighting higher flow, low flow low light, high light low flow, and now it sits in the corner. Nothing has nipped it. It has not receded at all.
Someone suggested doing an iodine dip. Thoughts on that?

DSC07836.jpg

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an iodine dip last night for 10-15 minutes. I haven't seen any changes today. So I'm not sure what to think of that. I'll give it a week to see what comes of it.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 5-7.5 depending the color (SeaChem test kits) I did feed about an hour prior to this test. So this may be slightly inaccurate. Still of no concern.
Nitrites 0
pH 8.2 or so
9.8 dKH
0 ammonia
I do not test for anything else as I don't have a kit for them. I really don't have a concern about the parameters as I water change once a month. The goni is the only coral acting up. I have alveoporas open and swaying. I have a smaller goni frag, the white one, that's also open.

This is my trouble coral currently. :mad: SPS are happy and growing, Acans are happy and fluffy, zoas are open and colorful, amongst everything else being open, content, and growing. I moved it again today after testing. I moved it halfway up on the frag rack to see if this makes a difference. But I've moved it everywhere. I'll continue to move it. There are still not signs of tissue recession which I feel is a good thing.

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little tip to get it to come out! Take myso shrimp, crush it up in a tablespoon of water (so that it is fine liquid juice) and feed the goni with a little of it! This will bring the sucker right out!

D maul

Well know lightsabre
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this Goni has been receded since May it's not in flow and light it likes. Green ones aren't they easy one to keep but still looks like it can make a comeback.looks like there's no brown jelly on it.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this Goni has been receded since May it's not in flow and light it likes. Green ones aren't they easy one to keep but still looks like it can make a comeback.looks like there's no brown jelly on it.

It has been everywhere in the tank. That's the problem. I'll continue moving it every few days or so to see if its decided to stop being a grump. Since that stupid fish it hasn't been opened. I just don't understand why it could be so mad. As I said, fortunately, it hasn't lost any tissue. So there's some hope. And no, there's no brown jelly. No indication of it on other corals as well. I do run carbon. I stopped for awhile to see if that was the issue and nothing.

My only hypothesis is that sand is between the polyps and the tissue when they retracted. Otherwise, I haven't the foggiest idea. I've had great success with green ones in the past. That's why I decided to add one to this tank when I did.

D maul

Well know lightsabre
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been everywhere in the tank. That's the problem. I'll continue moving it every few days or so to see if its decided to stop being a grump. Since that stupid fish it hasn't been opened. I just don't understand why it could be so mad. As I said, fortunately, it hasn't lost any tissue. So there's some hope. And no, there's no brown jelly. No indication of it on other corals as well. I do run carbon. I stopped for awhile to see if that was the issue and nothing.

My only hypothesis is that sand is between the polyps and the tissue when they retracted. Otherwise, I haven't the foggiest idea. I've had great success with green ones in the past. That's why I decided to add one to this tank when I did.
The green one I had before liked medium high indirect flow and if it was any other flow it was cranky and wouldn't open all the way. Does that goby nip at it all?

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flowerpots are very finicky and can take up to several months until they are fully acclimated. Every time you move it around, change it's flow and lighting it has to reacclimate itself all over again. My suggestion is to leave it alone and wait.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back