Sponges and feeding our corals

Steve W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges
I have been doing some research into nutritional requirements of corals and the feeding of corals.

My research has turned up many interesting items, and my conclusions are somewhat disturbing. The inevitable conclusion of my research so far is that in most aquariums using the current best technology, i.e, protein skimming, and similar filtration methods, that many of our coral are probably malnourished if not outright starved, this is probably especially true of the SPSs. I currently feed on an alternating schedule with mysis or brine shrimp enhanced with spirolina one day (to mainly LPSs) and then two days later with Oysterfeast/phytoplankton/copepods enriched with vitamins, organic bonded minerals and fatty acids.

However, external feeding on a scale that I suspect might be necessary to alleviate this problem, inevitably introduces a new problem - excess nutrients which equals excess algae/cyanobacteria and the attendant problems. About two days after I do a targeted feeding with the planktonic mix, I predictably get a cyanobacteria bloom. I am checking nutrients and skimming and while the nutrients bump a little following the feedings they immediately drop to non-detectible levels and the cyano goes down, but not away.

I am looking for ways to enhance natural feeding of the corals in my tank. For now I am limited by my system constraints (nano tank with no place to put a refugium, so I am looking at enhancing natural in-tank means of feeding. One that my research has indicated is probably one of the best is to grow sponges. Sponges take up the same dissolved organic materials that a protein skimmer removes and in turn sluffs off old filtering cells which are excellent food for the SPS as well as many of the softies. This in turn would let me reduce my targeted feedings without starving my corals.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to methods to start/enhance the growth of sponges in our systems? Note: I am also vodka/glucose/vinagar dosing to augment bacterial growth twice a week. (another good food source for SPSs)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Steve W
24 gallon nano w/ 150w NH

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges
However, external feeding on a scale that I suspect might be necessary to alleviate this problem, inevitably introduces a new problem - excess nutrients which equals excess algae/cyanobacteria and the attendant problems.
Nailed it!

We have this ying/yang relationship in which we want "low nutrients" yet enough to keep corals healthy and happy. Ensure nutrient export is keeping up with your nutrient import. In nature, reefs have an extremely tight nutrient cycle in which they're introduced and then used up (exported). This notion of "Ultra Low Nutrient Systems" is better used to describe something like outer space, or a desert. Reefs have anything but "ultra low nutrients" rather they have just the right amount of nutrients.

Herein lies our problem to try and keep everything happy. I would challenge your first point as it completely depends on the system and the reefkeeper. The equipment available today can surely strip a system of too much, which in turn would lead to malnourished coral, however this is when we step in and add nutrients back. My advice is to set up a very efficient nutrient export scheme with a skimmer, fuge, etc., etc. and then step in and feed the tank more as necessary. Being a fish nut I prefer to keep lots of fish, feed them heavily and have them poop. Yes, fish poop is going to be one of the best foods for coral (in captivity). If your bioload is too low and you're still experiencing pale colors you can add things like ReefBooster (Prodibio) or many other similar additives.

On your size tank you will not be able to sustain a necessary amount of sponges to really make that work, unless your tank is all sponges ;) I would rely on water changes and regular feedings to keep everything happy and healthy.

Joost's reef

TEEN REEFER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions as to methods to start/enhance the growth of sponges in our systems? Note: I am also vodka/glucose/vinagar dosing to augment bacterial growth twice a week. (another good food source for SPSs)
Sponges feed on DOC, so you're on the right path

OP
OP
S

Steve W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small sponges, including one very beautiful seafoam green encrusting one on my LR. I am looking for ways to encourage them to grow. Does anyone know of anything that is out of the ordinary detrimental to sponges or that really kicks thier growth into overdrive.

Steve W

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of anything that is out of the ordinary detrimental to sponges or that really kicks thier growth into overdrive.
IME I've had angels be detrimental along with other sponges. Angels, obviously, consume some types of sponge. Fast growing sponges outcompete slower growing sponges, which eventually kills them.

Take some time and read up on "cryptic fuge" or "cryptic zone" and even Tyree "tri-zonal system". Here's one older thread I just dug up: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/lighting-hardware-diy-discussion/25956-cryptic-fuge.html

For sponge growth, check out Korallen-Zucht Sponge Power.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of switching to an Algae Turf Scrubber and a cryptic zone.

I would suggest reading up on both of them, from my reading a combo of the two is the best way to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already read this. It is a very good article. There are several others on physorg.com (use the site search for corals sponges)

Steve W.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good write-up Eric did ^^.

What we need to keep in mind is that in captivity (at least right now), we cannot keep many of these sponges thriving, which means they won't be doing their jobs. In fact, quite the opposite, as they break down over time they become DOC's in our aquaria ;) For example, in the picture of Leonardos cryptic zone, only one species survived long term and never really thrived. Leo and I were discussing the use of a cryptic zone just the other day and both of us came to the conclusion we would opt out on new systems. I had three species growing like weeds in my cryptic zone, all came as hitchikers and proliferated on their own without any additional additives.

I do think there is something to be said about the use of a cryptic zone, but for it to be worth while (major means of nutrient export) you would need a very large cryptic refugium IMO.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think there is something to be said about the use of a cryptic zone, but for it to be worth while (major means of nutrient export) you would need a very large cryptic refugium IMO.

I agree
I am going to have a cryptic fuge on my 220. I have a 29gallon already painted and drilled. Everything I have read says that for a cryptic fuge to be worth while it would have to equal the DT size. I just want mine for some diversity and my own curiosity.

I used sponge power in the past and if you have any aiptasia they will grow like crazy.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used sponge power in the past and if you have any aiptasia they will grow like crazy.
It's definitely something that all filter feeders will appreciate, good or bad... and I have to figure "Sponge Power" would sell better that "Aiptasia Steroids" :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back