5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the newer stuff since the ID thread:

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg
Those are both also sponges (though different kinds) - the sponges growing out of the sand/substrate like that first one are pretty rarely seen IME.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea I just did a deep cleaning of my 90 gal this week to remove the hair algae and the too thick layer of mulm that accumulates in the back (I know mulm is beneficial but after 1in of thickness IMO it needs to removed). I noticed a variety of sponges with colors from white to yellow to pink all over the cryptic zones of my tank! Really cool to see such a vital and misunderstood part of ocean reefs throughout their history occurring in my tank!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea I just did a deep cleaning of my 90 gal this week to remove the hair algae and the too thick layer of mulm that accumulates in the back (I know mulm is beneficial but after 1in of thickness IMO it needs to removed). I noticed a variety of sponges with colors from white to yellow to pink all over the cryptic zones of my tank! Really cool to see such a vital and misunderstood part of ocean reefs throughout their history occurring in my tank!
Welcome aboard. Pictures help!

Initially, my 75G display had a Jaubert Plenum for 20 years. Five years ago, I reduced aragonite sand-bed to 2” and added a reverse flow from bulk water in display tank. At the same time I removed lights from refugium and operated 30G cryptic refugium with mud filter. During those 25 years detritus accumulated 1/2” and feels spongy to the touch. This detritus is a nutrient rich source of food for the microbial loop.

In my display, I stir top inch of sandbed and feed filter feeders. Detritus seldom accumulates in display, that I see. In cryptic refugium, I have MULM and this is what @Paul B says about MULM

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wanna be that guy but I have to.
Screenshot_2024-03-14-23-31-02.png

You sure, you feel safe with that mess of cables and dangeling power strip?
You don't wanna see mine then. All my powerstrips and plugs hand over my topoff bucket. Heild in place by a frag rack and towel.

But this is some super cool stuff to read. I wish I could keep some sponges. But people told me i shouldnt try . I love the carrabian and was just diving in it yesterday. We're thinking of doing a massive carrabian themed tank.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. Pictures help!

Initially, my 75G display had a Jaubert Plenum for 20 years. Five years ago, I reduced aragonite sand-bed to 2” and added a reverse flow from bulk water in display tank. At the same time I removed lights from refugium and operated 30G cryptic refugium with mud filter. During those 25 years detritus accumulated 1/2” and feels spongy to the touch. This detritus is a nutrient rich source of food for the microbial loop.

In my display, I stir top inch of sandbed and feed filter feeders. Detritus seldom accumulates in display, that I see. In cryptic refugium, I have MULM and this is what @Paul B says about MULM

In hindsight I should have taken photos, but I try to do my deep cleaning as fast as possible since they’re pretty disruptive to the tank, but necessary.

As you know, mulm is critical to our micorbiome and ultimately for our tank stability and is under appreciated and discussed. Too many reefers want the prestine neon coral tank vs the let-nature-do-its-thing-slice-of-the-ocean tank but both definitely contribute to the hobby in their own way! And @Paul B post was a wonderful affirmation of what I learned is college many moons ago!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't wanna see mine then. All my powerstrips and plugs hand over my topoff bucket. Heild in place by a frag rack and towel.

But this is some super cool stuff to read. I wish I could keep some sponges. But people told me i shouldnt try . I love the carrabian and was just diving in it yesterday. We're thinking of doing a massive carrabian themed tank.
While not legal for you to collect live sand and live rock, Florida has a handful of vendors, I consider to be environmental stewards who barged hundreds of tons of mined limestone onto offshore leases in early 1990’s.

@randomfishdude
I have collected anemones and peppermint shrimp from jetties in Galveston. Texas Wildlife & Fishery officers only require a fishing license but you can not sell what you catch.

I noticed your location as Rockport. I will be fishing Mustang Island 23 miles of kayak trails the second week in April. How far from your location?
Patrick

Last edited:

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not legal for you to collect live sand and live rock, Florida has a handful of vendors, I consider to be environmental stewards who barged hundreds of tons of mined limestone onto offshore leases in early 1990’s.

I wish it was. I've looked into getting some live frock for sponges and whatnot.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most familiar with Gulf Live Rock. I suggest some premium live rock for your display and in a darkened refugium to place some less expensive diver collected coralline base rock.

What do you mean by darkend? I have a light in place for a refugium but I don't have any cheato so I only occasionally turn it on. It's only a Walmart light.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by darkend? I have a light in place for a refugium but I don't have any cheato so I only occasionally turn it on. It's only a Walmart light.
Cryptic sponges grow in dark areas of your tank as well as in a cryptic refugium (sump without lights).

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pop in over at subsea's house. You can sit on the front porch eat figs and learn a lot.
My brother, how forth art thou. Not sure I am going to have a lot of figs this year. Hunter continues to grace my homesite. He still has a limp, but at 125lbs he is comprised like me.

I may not have a lot of figs; I will have a lot of tomatoes and peppers in 60 days. I now have asparagus coming in abundantly and shortly will be harvesting snow peas & green wax beans.

First picture is Celebrity & a 42 days to harvest hybrid tomatoes and Sweet Banana & Hungarian Hot peppers.

Second picture is a 30G seaweed tank moved here 3 months ago as an extended part of wall repair project where dual 55G tanks were located.

Third picture is wall where soon to erect 5 tier stand for individual seaweed and live rock growout system. At 30” wide each tier capacity is 400 pounds. With that much weight up high, I plan to secure stand to wall studs with turnbuckels.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice
Good to see hunter is still hanging in there.
I just got my peppers in the ground.
Maybe we have a wet spring and late start of summer.
I dont need 100F + until July

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's worse. Higher Temps with more wind. Or lower temp with no wind
Lower with no wind seems to be better for my garden.
Humidity is the worse for me. I didnt think moving to Austin was going to be like living in Houston. Even my tank climbs a degree or 2 when humid :)

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower with no wind seems to be better for my garden.
Humidity is the worse for me. I didnt think moving to Austin was going to be like living in Houston. Even my tank climbs a degree or 2 when humid :)
Wr used to live up in cedar park so pretty close. We like down here more because of humidity. I ways got super dry.
During the summer we don't even use heaters. Winter my 75g dosnt need one then ether.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot if we are talking about tomatoes as a fish or as a vegetable.

I stopped using heaters in all of my marine tanks except those outdoors and those heaters are set at 65 degrees falling. I operate below 75 and prefer 72.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back