One Rare "Spotted" Favia - Buyer Beware

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a "Spotted" Favia that an retailer has listed online right now. I about gagged when I realized the vendor was trying to pass the spots off as part of the coloration.

I'm not trying to Vendor bash, so I left any company name out of this. Just want to make sure people realize what they're buying, and to not always take a vendors word for it.

I can imagine an unknowing buyer picks this piece up because of it's super cool spots, and ends up with a HUGE headache...

fav406181.jpg

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I saw that today and thought the same thing.

"Limited Edition one of a kind Favia with Moving Spots!!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that's crazy! Even the least mildly veteran reefer would recognize something ain't right with this picture. Sheesh I'll always remember red planaria for the 14 hour marathon rip and dip I did for a friend's tank... one week before flatworm exit came out!!!!!!!!!

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats sad I cant believe the vendor would even post that picture for a costomer to see.can you please pm me the vendor so I know who to be cautious about buying from?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gross. that picture actually gives me the creeps!

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in bashing vendors....but in a case like this, I think we should put their name out there. It's either he's knowingly trying to scan reefers with total disregard for our tanks or he's just stupid and got scammed by a coral wholesaler (in either case, he deserve to have his name out there for something like this)

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in bashing vendors....but in a case like this, I think we should put their name out there. It's either he's knowingly trying to scan reefers with total disregard for our tanks or he's just stupid and got scammed by a coral wholesaler (in either case, he deserve to have his name out there for something like this)

I agree 100 percent and i think it is just a blatant disregard. Makes me sick to think some vendors do this and sad that some poor reefer might fall for it.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the vendor out there, they arent a sponsor on this forum. I am glad I dipped my stuff I just recd from them!!!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best part about it is if you look at the surrounding areas you can see they even went as far as to add quite a bid of Red to the Tone of the picture to try and bring out the "spots"

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seriously? That's really low or someone doesn't know much about reefing.

CJ

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will say what nobody else wants to. Its Extreme Corals, maybe this should be moved to vendor feedback. I just got an order from them yesterday for the first time in a long time, everything was fine, but doing something like this is just really inexcusable!!!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about favia and would never have known those weren't just pretty red dots I think it is a shame that buying corals now is almost like buying a used car from a shady dealer. you never know what you will get I learned about byropsis, gelidium, aiptasia and red bugs all thanks to well known vendors sending them to me on their frags. thanks for sharing this another thing to add to my "watch list"

OP
OP
Lateral72

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best part about it is if you look at the surrounding areas you can see they even went as far as to add quite a bid of Red to the Tone of the picture to try and bring out the "spots"
Yea, the company is known for umm.... 'enhancing' their photos.

I guess if they can get some unlucky SOB to get buy it for 2x whatever it should be priced at, it's worth the PR damage to them. :-\

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i doubt it. my guess is once it gets back to him that picture will come down ASAP. if i did something like that i would be doing back flips trying to explain myself and apologize for my mistake. Although it seems like a rather bold error since i dont know them personaly i cant say for sure but i would guess the above will be happening rather soon.

could very well be lack of knowledge and not intensional. sure hope so anyhow

OP
OP
Lateral72

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will say what nobody else wants to. Its Extreme Corals, maybe this should be moved to vendor feedback. I just got an order from them yesterday for the first time in a long time, everything was fine, but doing something like this is just really inexcusable!!!
I don't know about moving this to the vendor feedback. I wasn't trying to make it about a single vendor.

I mean, lets think about it. How many times have we all bought a frag from Company XYZ and it's been loaded with hairalgae, bryopsis or even red bugs? It's not just one vendor that's doing it (although Extreme's spots are funny in a sense). I think a better title would have been Buyer Be Aware. We all need to make sure we're buying a healthy coral, fish, invert or what-have-you. If we stop putting up with low standards and stop buying those items, the standards will raise, and we won't see Extreme trying to pass off Flatwarms as cool spots.

OP
OP
Lateral72

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i doubt it. my guess is once it gets back to him that picture will come down ASAP. if i did something like that i would be doing back flips trying to explain myself and apologize for my mistake. Although it seems like a rather bold error since i dont know them personaly i cant say for sure but i would guess the above will be happening rather soon.

could very well be lack of knowledge and not intensional. sure hope so anyhow
They've been in business for years and pride themselves on being the largest coral e-retailer in the USA...

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looks like one of those eyes test from the eye doctor.

This what i mean people we should be able to point out stuff that is not cool. These forums are for the members to help other but sometimes it seems like there meant for buying and selling.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back