Have you ever bought a $500+ anemone online? Do you ask the vendor for more photos?

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that out of all the reef creatures, anemones are the toughest to ship. You never know if the the bag of water you get is going to arrive clear or cloudy/foul-smelling despite having perfect shipping temperatures.

I've never bought an "expensive" anemone online before. I need to see them in person first. Otherwise, I feel that I have to trust the online vendor's photo for its health. If these anemones cost $500 +, do you bug them for videos? More photos? Or do you just click "add to cart" after seeing that 1 photo listed on their site? In the past, I've asked online vendors for more pics of anemones but they usually take their sweet time about it. Then, when they finally get around to it, the anemone gets sold! Extremely frustrating.

BTA's usually ship fine, but I feel that I am taking a huge risk when it comes to carpets and mags and would definitely like more up-to-date pics, since we all know that these anemones go downhill really quickly.

Thoughts?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I know the vendor, I usually talk them and trust what I'm being told. If I don't know the vendor...well, I probably wouldn't spend that kind of money on a vendor I haven't dealt with before unless they come recommended by someone I trust.

If it's the only place that has them and you have no way to go with someone you know and trust (or have high recommendations for), then yes, more pics and conversation is probably fair. No harm in asking for more photos IMO, but I also can't blame them if it gets sold to someone else who pays first.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually ask for pictures of any anemone over even $100 just because I'm picky. Any vendor worth spending that kind of money on will usually be capable of finding a person near the anemone with a cell phone.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes always. it feels awkward and pedantic at first, but good vendors receive and fulfill requests like that every single day. it's especially important for carpet anemones to get a proper id.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me intrigued -- you've got arguably the best selection of anemones in your area. Why would you want to ship one?

To answer your question, I wouldn't ship an expensive nem. I'd drive (down to SoCal) to pick it up. ;)

But seriously, for carpets and mags, the jury is still out on how to best ship them (lots of water in a big bag = $$$ shipping fees, very little water, or none at all) so you're at the mercy of the vendor to pack them correctly and then the shipper to have them arrive safely. I watched a gig invert itself on the way home from the LFS. It was less than a 20 minute drive.

You'll also need a lot of luck. Most gigs and mags will require treatment, and the longer they sit in a vendor's tank, the less likely they will be able to recover.

Lastly, value varies for each person. I was at a LFS a couple of weeks ago and someone bought a red haddoni for over $1,200 without batting an eye. These days, vendors won't and don't need to go out of their way to take more photos and videos, but I agree that those that are willing to do so are worth purchasing from.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me intrigued -- you've got arguably the best selection of anemones in your area. Why would you want to ship one?

To answer your question, I wouldn't ship an expensive nem. I'd drive (down to SoCal) to pick it up. ;)

But seriously, for carpets and mags, the jury is still out on how to best ship them (lots of water in a big bag = $$$ shipping fees, very little water, or none at all) so you're at the mercy of the vendor to pack them correctly and then the shipper to have them arrive safely. I watched a gig invert itself on the way home from the LFS. It was less than a 20 minute drive.

You'll also need a lot of luck. Most gigs and mags will require treatment, and the longer they sit in a vendor's tank, the less likely they will be able to recover.

Lastly, value varies for each person. I was at a LFS a couple of weeks ago and someone bought a red haddoni for over $1,200 without batting an eye. These days, vendors won't and don't need to go out of their way to take more photos and videos, but I agree that those that are willing to do so are worth purchasing from.
There are four previously-lovely magnifica disintegrating at cortez rn ._.

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, ask for pictures and any other questions. I bought a mertens, got photos, etc. but I didn't ask how they would ship it. Although they are around LA and I am in San Diego county, they shipped without heat packs. It arrived in rough shape and melted in a day. They told me to leave it in my tank. It's your money. If they are legitimate, they won't have a problem taking photos and answering questions. If they have issues, walk away.

OP
OP
jamie1210

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We definitely have the best anemone selection here in southern CA, but I've been looking for a small bright red haddoni for some time now. We have so many LFS's that bring in red carpets, but they're huge. I have yet to find a small one (like 4-6") locally, but I see them being listed online from time to time. It is so tempting, but I just can't fathom dropping that much money and taking a chance on having it die on me through shipping.

1200 for a red haddoni? Wow. There was an established giant red haddoni at an LFS around here that no one wanted. The thing was so big it looked like it could wrap around your head lol. They wanted 650 for it but it took a couple years for it to finally sell.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are in Southern California, but nocturnal reef has some nice carpets.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue asking any vendor for more pics of any coral I’m interested in buying. I’m the customer, I’m remote, it’s perfectly reasonable

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t quite that expensive but I just bought one for $225 online and yes, got more pictures of it, and others available to ensure I liked the exact anemone being shipped! The shipping company made an oops and the water was down to 50° by the time it arrived but it’s been doing very very well and happily living with my clown watching over it closely!

If local shopping was an option I would definitely have gone that route first but it simply isn’t up here in the north so online anemone shopping it is!!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, once for $500, many times for $250+. I don’t usually ask for more pictures. The anemones nearly always arrive in decent condition as long as shipping wasn’t delayed.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The surefire way to mitigate your risk, is to require a stay alive guarantee. I personally wouldn't risk it otherwise.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $600 anemone :

Attachments

• 427927396_728200295758183_4704579007945782563_n.jpg
    427927396_728200295758183_4704579007945782563_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 70

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded a RBT and Corals for a Carpet Anemone from a Local Hobbyist. Had to Sell it before it killed all my Corals and was wall to wall in my 65 Gallon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back