Anemone (?) taking over tank

Nasica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon all,

Around 2 years ago I was gifted a marine tank due to a friend moving interstate and the new states bio-security laws.
Things have been going well, with some lessons learnt along the way (lost a few BTAs, and recently had my first BTA split which was super exciting).
When I first received the tank the green horn-looking anemone in the attached picture were more contained, but over time they have multiplied, and it seems like it is turning exponential (well, at least non-linear).

I was wondering what should I do? Should I leave them to spread and rely on the BTA and other anemone to hold their ground. Or should I trim them back. If the latter, then what is the process for doing that? Do I just pluck them off with a pair of tank tweezers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... even any help on topics not related to this but you may have seen from the photo.

Thanks again

PXL_20240314_042803534.MP.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a bad problem to have, you should be able to remove the ones you don’t want, bag them up and take them to your local fish store for some store credit

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That “green horn-looking anemone” are polyps. They are not going to loose any war. They will continue to spread. Be careful with handling them. They MAY PRODUCE PALYTOXIN with stress. Read about palytoxin before handling these. People have died handling corals that produce palytoxin.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I see a bta, green rfa(?) green palythoia and some shrooms. Am I missing something or miss "seeing" it? If they are palys they may contain palytoxin just be careful dont lick them or handle them with bare hands or touch your face with paly juice covered hands. And, for the love of god dont boil, microwave or cook that rock. That being said I have grown all kinds of paly's in the past including P.Grandis I have fragged and sold so many I cant even remember. I have personally never had issues (knock on wood). I wear gloves and am carful to not touch my face while messing with them and towels used during the process go in to wash when I am done.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read about palytoxin prior to handle it. While it is unlikely that you get hurt from it because it is likely not the species that produce this very toxic substance, just make sure you know the potential problem. I hate to find out that you ended up in the hospital or worst.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN is bang on with the info don’t touch anything with out gloves and even eye protection. Keep safe

OP
OP
N

Nasica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help.
I took to a couple on the edge with a hobby knife whilst wearing nitrile and glasses, they were a bit awkward to remove, and I don't think I got much of the bases. But, I do feel better about their invasion of my tank now.

I did a pretty big water change afterwards just to be sure as well (and learnt that I had too much water in my Waterbox)

So, all in all, it was a great learning experience.

Thanks again

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm earmarking this thread because it's a big deal in reefing and I'm so glad it's posted.

an entire click industry exists around death from palytoxin from a home reef tank, it's the ultimate scare. example 1 of 1500:
it's so pervasive even the consulted chemists and advisors in reefing will recommend against owning palys now, bc it isn't worth the risk. they may indeed be right.

but that change in pace doesn't mean it was always this way.

I grew eighty of these in a one gallon reef vase for twelve years in my home, ran by airstone, the 'riskiest' mode of delivery since aerosolization and or water-borne contact are the claimed kill modes. I siphoned out of that tank and failed at times, with eighty brown palys in one gallon in two (concentrate) and I got juice from them on me countless times. we knew to handle them with care, but we didn't flip out, and not once on the forums was any sickness reported. this is a new trend

it was not the case in 2006 I've been online in forums the whole time watching trends, this paly fear started about 2015.

now all of a sudden there's doom everywhere

but again, here, he just excised it like a normal coral, that's what we did too without fear.

so, there may indeed be a trend of danger but I'd also ask: has any of these claimed paly losses ever been confirmed on a death certificate> was any follow up verification, other than the fearful headline, ever attained?

I will admit among trends it was wierd that two different dogs died supposedly after drinking palythoa water. not any wierder than a dog that drinks straight saltwater but those are the headlines.

fear is up fifty fold, that's one difference from 2006.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, best practice to be aware of potential hazards and conduct yourself accordingly.

Personally, I'd just trade-in that whole green paly covered rock. It does add a lot of color to the tank, but there are plenty of other corals (that are nicer) to choose from to do that. You should get enough credit to replace it with something better.

Tank looks good though! Corals look happy and tank is clean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back