Montipora help

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my montipora frag in my tank for 2 months now and there has been absolutely no growth. All my water parameters are fine (according go the LFS). Any suggestions? It's not as dark pink as it was when I bought it.

OP
OP
Spartan02

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm not sure but here is a pic
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409540869.777873.jpg

dub3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in good flow? Not sure on all species, but mine loves constant flow

OP
OP
Spartan02

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I think so. I have the nuvi aquarium and so everything's built in and the LFS said it should be enoughh flow. Do you have any experience with these aquariums?

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
montipora capricornis. Usually a fast grower. If your cal, Mag and alk are good I'd say lighting. Be helpful if we knew the exact parameters.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one that's trippled in size since May. Mine gets good flow and is about the middle of the tank under kessil A360's. What kind of lighting do you have and where is yours located?

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to healthy. What are your Params at? Cal mg alk? But if that's the normal color, sometimes it takesonger for corals to react being in new tank. If it's healthy, it will start to grow soon, just hasn't snapped out of the change of tanks.

I had a few montis not grow for about a month in my tank when I first introduced them, now there growing real good.

OP
OP
Spartan02

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't attached to a rock yet either... I moved it to the lower part of the tank last night. Any suggestions on getting it to attach

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't attached to a rock yet either... I moved it to the lower part of the tank last night. Any suggestions on getting it to attach

Hello fellow Michigander (I think), If you plan on keeping SPS (or corals in general), you will want to pick up a few test kits. They will help you solve issues such as this. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock into the advice you get from an LFS. You would be surprised at some of the things I've heard employees recommend to customers! Invest in a Mg (Salfiert), Ca (Salfiert), Alk (Salfiert), Nitrate (Salfiert), and Phosphate checker (Hanna). Your loss of coloration can be due to high phosphates (over .1). Phosphates also prevent coral growth by binding at the sites where corals would otherwise lay down new calcium carbonate skeleton. High nitrates can also dull the coloration of SPS (or cause STN). It can also be due to low potassium, but that is most likely not the case. Proper parameters are also needed with Mag, Ca, and Alk. With a lower nutrient levels (Phates and Trates), you will need to run lower alk around 6.5-8. I dont think that is the case with your tank though. If your nitrates are >1.0 and phosphate closer to .1, you can get away with a higher alk 9-10. Calcium should be around 420. Mag (as a rule of thumb) should be about three times your Ca. If you have ALL of these things in check, then we can discuss proper flow and lighting.

For flow, you want to ensure your polyps are moving like a field of grass in the wind. SPS can also handle short bursts of chaotic flow, but this flow can also stunt growth and damage coral tissue if prolonged.

For lighting, someone will have to chime in to tell you if the light is sufficient. Although I do have Kessils, I am a T5/MH guy. I'll have to plead ignorance on LED lighting.

Now if you have ALL of these things in check... You can grow massive colonies of that little monti frag ;)

Good Luck!
James

OP
OP
Spartan02

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks james. Is there a kit that has all of these tests In one? Can I get it off amazon?

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ibassfsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough light it looks like. Do you have any other SBS corals or is this your first one? Calcium, alkalinity, and low nitrates are a must for SBS, along with good flow, strong lighting. Water quality being good is a must

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 271

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back