How you got to this point

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was thinking after so many years and so many tanks along the and so many different methods, trial and errors. Now you're at the point you have set up a tank with all the things you have learned from all the tanks you had and from all that you have learned on here. I am curious as to what you have set up now and what is the end results. Specially with an sps dominated tank.
I like reading stories of how someone's passion evelved in this hobby and we all know it becomes an addiction. What is it about acros well that's for another discussion. .As the addiction get stronger we starting chasing numbers or the best equipment or whatever method is new or what see with great looking tanks. What are they doing , what equipment they're using, what are they feeding. We try to do what it is to make sps grow and have beautiful colors of the rainbow. I know its been an up and down journey but for those who haven't given up and made it at this point to have a thriving sps tank. I think it would be cool to hear your stories. It would be cool if the end results of the set up is very similar. I will start

When i was young i will always have freshwater tanks but they never really amount into anything. But i have just always like fish tanks. Never lasted long didn't know what i was doing. I have a really good friend that invited us to dinner one day. And as soon as you walk in first thing you see is this nice and bright full of life fish tank. Mind you i never knew about corals at this time so i was in awe. I can just sit there for hours just watching and seeing all this cool waving corals as the wave moves with it..When we left that night i asked my wife if i can get one set up. The response was no its gonna cost to much money and blah blah blah. But when we moved into a bigger house because she needed to take care of her mom. One day my father in law came with a free 55 gallon tank that he got from a friend. He asked if i wanted it, since it was free my wife didn't mind. Little did she know that this 55 gallon was a start of something big that me myself didn't think it was gonna end up to. And i know lots of you can relate how this will turn up. So i told my friend i got a tank for free and i aked him if he can help me set it up as a saltwater tank. Well of course he said ya oh and i told him i don't have to much money to spend on this. And this is how i learned about the forums he showed me all the things where we got most of the equipment from which is our local forumn that i am now a board member of. Boy did this open up a new world to me, met new great friends through it . But anyways so we got everything running for 250$ liverock , skimmer , live sand and some reactors and even a 40 gallon breather from a breakdown. Once it was up and running he tought me how to wait for the cycle and he taught me how to test for the parameters. Tank cycled so my friendbrought me to a fish store really close to my work i got 5 fish that day really great deal because he works there and he is friends with the owner. So the tank starting to look great. I am learning and able to keep things alive. So so far in this tank i have a yellow tang, kole tang, cbb , melenarus wrasse and a pair of clown saddle clown to be exact. I slowly added corals and things are starting to look great even my wife and kids named the fish and enjoys watchimg it. I think my wife allowed me to have a tank because the previous year before we moved to the house to take care of her parents, i had a big accident i was hit by a drunk drive on the freeway going 70mph and he pushed me into the center divider. That accident gave 2 bulging disc 2 protrusion and 3 herniated. She knows what i go through and she knows how much the tank relaxes me. I think it was an eye opener for her cuz till this day been 6 years i am still dealing with the pain. This what actually led to the set up i have now but will get to it shortly. So that 55 is getting full and my wallet getting emptier. At this point i was already a local in r eef forums so occasionally see great deals so i picked up a hundred gallon reef ready tank. I called up my friend to help me again and he was like " what did i get you into".. this is only 6 months later we doing an upgrade. To be continued

Back