clownfish got stuck in live rock

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back home from school today and I found my clown(ive had for less than 24 hours) was stuck in my live rock, dead. He was completely fine earlier, swimming around, acclimating to his new tank, and everything was perfect. When I found him, he was completely lodged in the rock, took some slight tweezer strength to get him out. this morning when I woke up he was just sitting at the bottom of the tank, laying there, doing nothing. So I don't know if when I got him he was sick, or if this is just a weird thing. My other clownfish on the other hand, is perfectly fine. I just feel so guilty that a innocent fish died in my hands, and this past week, my pleco jumped out of my freshwater tank, killing himself, I realized that the betta I have had since she was a baby(around 3 years ago) is about to die, and 4 tetras died on me, I saved up so much for this and thought it was gonna be the end of all of these fish deaths, but no, another one, this tank was supposed to be relaxing, not stressful. hope somebody can help me

thanks,
stewy

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the clown quarantined? Any strange symptoms? Torn fins? Was the other clown harassing it at all? How did you acclimate?

As for the freshwater tank, make sure you have a good lid for the tank to prevent jumpers. For the tetras, what kind and were they with the betta? If neons, they are pretty susceptible to microsporidians (neon tetra disease), which spreads rapidly unless you pull the bodies/dying out before the rest can start to eat it. Also, I’ve had bettas kill tetras, which is totally possible.

Death is an inescapable part of the hobby - unfortunately it often takes losing a few to learn for the future. The more you learn, the better it gets and the hobby finally starts to get relaxing (if it ever really does).

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the clown quarantined? Any strange symptoms? Torn fins? Was the other clown harassing it at all? How did you acclimate?

As for the freshwater tank, make sure you have a good lid for the tank to prevent jumpers. For the tetras, what kind and were they with the betta? If neons, they are pretty susceptible to microsporidians (neon tetra disease), which spreads rapidly unless you pull the bodies/dying out before the rest can start to eat it. Also, I’ve had bettas kill tetras, which is totally possible.

Death is an inescapable part of the hobby - unfortunately it often takes losing a few to learn for the future. The more you learn, the better it gets and the hobby finally starts to get relaxing (if it ever really does).
no, no, no, no, 20 minutes in bag, floating on tank, then put in. ye ik, neon and yes, the betta was fine. yeah ik. thanks :D(all in order)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating in the bag and plopping in can be a big problem if there are drastic salinity differences (as well as other parameters). Do you know your salinity vs that of your lfs?

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating in the bag and plopping in can be a big problem if there are drastic salinity differences (as well as other parameters). Do you know your salinity vs that of your lfs?
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm*orders refractometer*, the water seems VERY clear, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkbait is a fish medic from his tag, and is probably the most qualified to answer your question in this thread.
I think you should take him a bit more seriously.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkbait is a fish medic from his tag, and is probably the most qualified to answer your question in this thread.
I think you should take him a bit more seriously.
ik, sorry, but I didn't have a refractometer on hand, thats why I said that. im also new to this website :D, sorry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back