Newbie birdsnest coral question

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow birdsnest (panope I think) that is new to my tank (one week). One tip is totally white. The rest of the coral has the feeder tentacles on it and color in some areas, faded in others. There's also some new growth. Is this anything to worry about? Tank parameters are all normal. I think the stress of the new tank did it. Any thoughts? I'll take pics when the blue lights go out.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a flash pic. Under LEDs it's a more fluorescent yellow. You can see the white tip.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430617568.510606.jpg

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it low in lower light, make sure it has decent flow, and make sure your Alk stays fairly stable and it should be just fine. IMO

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it low in lower light, make sure it has decent flow, and make sure your Alk stays fairly stable and it should be just fine. IMO

Thanks. It's at the bottom of the tank and I'm keeping the Alk at 9. The whites only run at 15% for four hours. Blues at 40% for 8 hours. I think it will recover too. The chalice and monti and other birdsnest are doing fine.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a spot in the tank that's got a little less light, but is it worth moving it? I've read that it's better to not mess with SPS too much. I haven't touched it in over a week.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a spot in the tank that's got a little less light, but is it worth moving it? I've read that it's better to not mess with SPS too much. I haven't touched it in over a week.
Hard to say. If it's improving I would not touch it. I'm not very cautious or kind to my birdsnests, they tend to do well no matter what I do, and end up growing way too fast. :)

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tip almost look like it is bleaching. Usually birdsnests will have white tips all over, but they'll still have polyps on them. I'd cut the bit that is bleaching. Usually works out for the best if you do that.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i'd leave it as long as its not receding.... if it starts receding more and bleaching out you might wanna snip it

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i'd leave it as long as its not receding.... if it starts receding more and bleaching out you might wanna snip it

Thanks. So far it seems to be unchanged. The rest of the coral still has polyps and most of it has some sort of color. I think I'll leave it alone. I'm seeing some new growth at the bottom. I guess I didn't acclimate it right. These are my first SPS so live and learn. Luckily my other SPS are doing well (purple birdsnest, Jedi mind trick monti and Hollywood stunner chalice. The chalice is actually putting out new eyes already.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
different people use different things.. I work at Walgreens and they had the expensive toe nail clippers on sale(normally like $15-20). And I've used that on 2 of my birdsnest and 2 acros successfully. That doesn't mean it's the right tool, you can look stuff up on Amazon or brs for frag supplies. But I was happy with the $5 clearance toe clippers for now, hah... Those ar the only 4 SPS I've snipped , so I'm not really experienced in it.

Someone else might chime in ? Good luck, how's it looking now? Any further receding?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
different people use different things.. I work at Walgreens and they had the expensive toe nail clippers on sale(normally like $15-20). And I've used that on 2 of my birdsnest and 2 acros successfully. That doesn't mean it's the right tool, you can look stuff up on Amazon or brs for frag supplies. But I was happy with the $5 clearance toe clippers for now, hah... Those ar the only 4 SPS I've snipped , so I'm not really experienced in it.

Someone else might chime in ? Good luck, how's it looking now? Any further receding?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing! It's the same for now.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more question. Does anyone rotate their branching coral like we do with plants so they don't lean towards the lights too much?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people might.... that would probably be a decision up to you... if your coral was growing towards the light and you reposition it you will probably see it start to grow towards the light again, which might make it an obvious but maybe desired look in its growth pattern. happened to one of my birdsnest on accident with moving and such, just don't move it around alot

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more question. Does anyone rotate their branching coral like we do with plants so they don't lean towards the lights too much?

not really , in nature once in a spot that `s it unless it gets broken off . I don't move mine unless the corals are at war .

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back