Greying of coral

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys and gals,

I have acro that randomly Grey's out and no matter what I do, or where I place them, they stay grey. I can still see there little polyps peak out occasionally, but no color changes. The rest of my sps seem good but some of the new ones color fades. I just had icp results two weeks ago and everything looks good. I'm curious if anyone has any input, I will be taking the following steps for more info

-new icp test
-aquabio test
- new par reading for new bulbs ahead (problem happened before the new bulbs )

20240215_122055.jpg 20240215_122050.jpg 20240215_122026.jpg 20240215_122021.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said new , no?

Could be showing ship stress , new tank stress, maybe just needs acclimation time.

I've noticed that any acros show stress weeks after anything else shows stress. A delay reaction. And it takes them equally as long to recover and get color.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said new , no?

Could be showing ship stress , new tank stress, maybe just needs acclimation time.

I've noticed that any acros show stress weeks after anything else shows stress. A delay reaction. And it takes them equally as long to recover and get color.
1 or 2 of my new indo colonies are new and they were awesome at first but have lost a tiny bit of color and some polyp change but not alot. The greying ones have been in my tank a WHILE. Enough to place in multiple different flow spots, then lighting spots, trying to make it happy. I cannot visibly see pests. The reason I made the post 2 is there are only 2/3 posts of greying corals and they are much older with no answers

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 of my new indo colonies are new and they were awesome at first but have lost a tiny bit of color and some polyp change but not alot. The greying ones have been in my tank a WHILE. Enough to place in multiple different flow spots, then lighting spots, trying to make it happy. I cannot visibly see pests. The reason I made the post 2 is there are only 2/3 posts of greying corals and they are much older with no answers
Interesting maybe moving them around too much?

Idk spit balling I usually just place and leave. For 6-8 months and then adjust based on how it's looking.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting maybe moving them around too much?

Idk spit balling I usually just place and leave. For 6-8 months and then adjust based on how it's looking.
I usually leave them a 2 weeks to a month at a time and watch polyps/ any coloration changes

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240217_142955.jpg

I've had the same problem with this frag, and oddly it's the only one that I have with the issue. I recently moved it and I'm now seeing some colour return around the base so will see how it goes.

I had it under high flow and lighting before, now I moved it to 250par and less flow.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just wierd that the first week or so they were super happy, polyps out ( still are) but now there bieng salty.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated
Yeah usually they come in then show signs of stress and take time to acclimate

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: recieved aqua bio and ICP test. Will be sending those in. Par meter looked good. Discarded effected corals just in case ( usd dip on them first with Easter to see if any bugs would come off. No visual bugs only 1 copopod).

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions just from my experience. Do you do water changes frequently and are they wild Or aquacultured. Reason I ask is I have one in particular that I think is wild caught. It is the the only one that turns grey. I noticed once I did more frequent water changes “once a week “ it has gotten a lot better. Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions just from my experience. Do you do water changes frequently and are they wild Or aquacultured. Reason I ask is I have one in particular that I think is wild caught. It is the the only one that turns grey. I noticed once I did more frequent water changes “once a week “ it has gotten a lot better. Just a thought.
Hello,
Water changes 20-30% every week. 2 colonies are maracultured but they havnt only had some color fade from shipping. Greying was aquaculture

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back