SPS Growth Challenge thread

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here we go. We have a bunch of frags that have been cut from the same colony and been healing for quite some time generously donated by Battle Corals.

ALL funds will be sent via PayPal directly to battle corals....meaning you are responsible for paying your own entry fee. Gonna cap this at 30 contestants that way we have at least a few left over for incidentals.

We will measure growth on a monthly basis using both displacement and linear measurement. Pictures should also be taken and posted within the thread on a monthly basis so that we can see growth & coloration in various systems. Spreadsheets have been created online to enter information about your tank and can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AncVNgrvz6hQdGdjMmFtdjBLbjVHQkZadTh0eXExOXc&output=html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEg4LUNfQV9ycC04NnpwR082YWY2a2c6MQ#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncVNgrvz6hQdEg4LUNfQV9ycC04NnpwR082YWY2a2c#gid=0

There is no "prize" for this competition, it is merely a fun experiment to gain "bragging rights."

Would like to start getting entry fees paid as soon as possible.

All frags will ship on same day to contestants.

Please try to assist with reducing shipping costs by grouping ith others close to you if possible to get a groups pieces all in same box.

List of contestants:

1. Gar732 Naugatuck, CT
2. swannyson7 Bantam, CT
3. Epstein Clinton, CT
4. gillundr Clinton, CT

5. Henry C Rochester, NY
6. jfl14609 ??, NY
7. randy15 ??, NY
8. briangsxr1000 ??, NY
9. jdoenumber2 Webster, NY

10. Crusader Kingston, MA
11. eaze333 Lowell, MA

12. chestnud Columbia, SC
13. rjbesch Hartsville, SC

14. bonomo53 Long Island, NY
15. nater ??, NY

16. luvmyacans Los Angeles, CA
17. bobssecrtsn San Diego, CA
18. yellojello San Jose, CA
19. CJO Charlotte, NC
20. ehutchby ??, NC
21. Laskopyre Cleveland Heights, OH
22. stephnjeph Sandusky, OH
23. bct15 Starkville, MS
24. Thatgrimguy Gulfport, MS
25. ca2or ??, OR
26. jbannick22586 Charleston, WV
27. CalmSeasQuest Brighton, MI
28. Reefknight Warner Robins, GA
29. usfPaul82 Lakeland, FL
30. Kuyatwo Flower Mound, TX

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread will contain pics of the frags, cost to get in, and list of contestants. Eventually , shortly it will be cleaned up so we can run the comp through this thread as well to make finding all the information easier.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi guys,

Indeed the frags are good to go I'd say.

Just to clarify on the shipping.

It will cost 50 per box.

I can put at least 5 frags in my smallest box.

If anyone can go in with friends I'll pack as many as I can in the same box. It may cost a little more for larger boxes but I'd be happy to work out these details with the people directly.
It won't be much more.
That I am sure of.

if 5 people go in, it will cost them each 5.00. Simple as that.

For me, the more group boxes the better but ultimately whatever works is good with me.

Whenever you guys want to get this thing going just let me know.

If you all decide to pull the plug it is no big deal to me either. You guys are not obgligated to take these frags. Really it is no trouble at all.

I was asked for another pic of the frags which I have yet to do but otherwise I am all systems go on my end.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Last edited:

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post up what kind of measuring device we need from bulkreef? or can we buy it at local places?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post up what kind of measuring device we need from bulkreef? or can we buy it at local places?

This is what I was wondering as well. Does anyone know the size of the frags and how long we are going to run this? If we go too large, we will be giving up accuracy. Also, the graduated cylinders give you better precision, but beakers might be the better shape, depending on the growth form.

CJ

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a beaker might be better. I bought the 250ml graduated cylinder from BRS, but the diameter of the opening is too small for this application (about 1 5/8"). I'm planning to use a tuppperware that I have with about a 2.5-3" diameter opening. It doesn't have volume measurements, but I figure I can mark the side with graduations by adding water with the graduated cyclinder (I figure I'll increase the volume by 5ml at a time, marking the tupperware and then I can scale it down with tick marks for 1ml increments). It won't be perfect, but probably accurate within a couple ml. I'd be open to other suggestions if anyone finds something that would work well as the frag grows. BRS also sells a 500ml graduated cyclinder, but I don't know how much the diameter varies.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you that are participating, see if any local R2R members are interested to cut down on shipping costs!! Let's get this list filled up!!

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can BC add a recent photo of the frags and what kind of frags it is, thanks BC!

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 spots left! Make sure you guys ask some locals if they're interested in participating. It will lower your shipping costs and get this competition off the ground.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up the thread and provided a quick set of rules in the intro post. If we'd like the document growth on a more frequent basis or change the duration of the competition, that can always be changed, but I think monthly reporting over 6 months is adequate. As you guys post in this thread with your data, I'll combine posts so that all of your information for the entirety of the contest is listed in one post.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a pic of what the frags are or a shot of the colony. I'm def interested but would like to see what i'm buying before I sign up and send any money to anyone. Also is the shipping 50.00 plus the cost of the frag? Thanks....

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag is free and shipping is $50 for a box that can hold up to 5 frags. So if you get 4 other local reefers to participate, it would cost $10 for each of you. Here's a picture of the frags from Battle Corals:
Yes indeedy,

Sorry it took me so long to get these pics up.

just been busy.

These were all shot with flash so you'll just have to believe me when I say it does look considerably prettier under aquarium lighting:wink:.

anyway

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. I'm looking to see if I can get some local guys to get in on this.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there still a spot available? I'd love to jump in on this. Also I've got an order to be shipped from Adam in the near future, can we combine shipping of the two? Let me know!

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there still a spot available? I'd love to jump in on this. Also I've got an order to be shipped from Adam in the near future, can we combine shipping of the two? Let me know!
Added your name to the list! If you PM adam to let him know, you should have no problem getting this frag added to your box. Worst case scenaria, it might cost a little bit extra if you have to get a larger box with the additional frag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back