SPS Growth Challenge thread

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent payment. Me and bonoma53 are receiving frags in one box. I tried entering my specs in the first data sheet, but I wouldn't let me enter anything there. Lookin forward to it

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Payment sent - I couldn't stand the thought of the contest Frag having to endure shipping all by itself, and....since Adam has such nice stuff, I bought a few more to fill up the box :)

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone pm me the email address to send payment to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone pm me the email address to send payment to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM Battle Corals, he can send a paypal invoice to your email.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried contacting "battlecorals" both by phone and direct emails through their website for the past few days now with no responses. I know I'm not the most likable character at times, but I figured they could show me a little love.... I am kind of weary now sending money to this guy. I wish I could get some sort of response or maybe even a karmatic sign of faith to help guide the mysterious and elusive battlecorals guy toward any means of communication and direct it my way....

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam has been getting bombarded with PMs about this contest, so just give him a chance to catch up. He posted this a couple days ago:
Hi guys,

:sorry:

I have been swamped all week on multiple fronts.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be answering all my pm's shortly.

I know there are a lot of people waiting for response about the grow out competition and frag packs.

I promise you I'll will answer every one of them either tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Thanks a lot for your patience guys.

You'll be hearing from me very soon.:typing:

Adam

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried contacting "battlecorals" both by phone and direct emails through their website for the past few days now with no responses. I know I'm not the most likable character at times, but I figured they could show me a little love.... I am kind of weary now sending money to this guy. I wish I could get some sort of response or maybe even a karmatic sign of faith to help guide the mysterious and elusive battlecorals guy toward any means of communication and direct it my way....

Sorry my friend.

I have no emails from you in my inbox. or spam folder.

I swear I am not that elusive:horn:I generally don't call back random numbers unless I get a message. I am sorry if I missed one from you.

PM sent.

I'll be in touch with you shortly.:thumb:

With that in mind.

If anyone has sent me an email and not gotten a response please either PM me on here and/or check your spam folder. Sometimes they end up there.

Last edited:

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my frag today looks great thanks battlecorals, are there any initial measurements i need to take?

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are already receiving frags? How are we going to hold a "contest" that revolves around growth when people are getting frags well ahead of others?

Since people are getting a head start and have additional time to allow their frags to adjust to their system I am going to drop out of the challenge. Feel free to continue to use the Google docs I created.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are already receiving frags? How are we going to hold a "contest" that revolves around growth when people are getting frags well ahead of others?

Since people are getting a head start and have additional time to allow their frags to adjust to their system I am going to drop out of the challenge. Feel free to continue to use the Google docs I created.
I wouldn't fret about a couple days of growth given that we are looking at 6 months of grow time. There shouldn't be much of a difference if people have their frags for a couple days ahead of others. This is far from a scientific experiment anyways seeing as frags will be different starting sizes and will undergo different shipping conditions. For those of you who haven't sent payment, please do so ASAP and we can get these shipped to everyone. If you've already payed, Let's try to arrange for shipping by the end of this week.

got my frag today looks great thanks battlecorals, are there any initial measurements i need to take?
For the time being, just wait until everyone gets their frags.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags came today. All looked awesome!!!! Nice colors,nice growth excited abouit the challenge, Thanks Battle Corals!!!!!

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my frag today. Come in great. Thanks battles for all the work on this. Adam is more then generous for doing this for us. As for people getting frags before others , I don't think it's a big deal. There is no prize for this "contest". I just think its more of some plain old good fun! As for measuring. I was thinking a plastic 1000ml beaker ? They are cheap. Thought I would put that out there.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just record what day you got you frag and adjust your end time based on that.

Tank thread: New shots of my 54 corner.

LG P999 EaglesBlood 2.8, Trinity ELPmax

Yes. It shouldn't make a difference since we are working on percent difference anyway.

I've been giving some thought to how we should measure the frags and I think I've come up with a decent method. The issue was that a graduated cylinder would be accurate, but wouldn't be large enough to hold the frag. A beaker would be large enough to hold the frag, but doesn't have enough markings to give you a precise enough measurement of the water displacement. With this method, you can use any size container to hold the frag, but will only need to purchase a graduated cylinder.

1. First, you will need some sort of container that can hold the coral frag. Ideally, it would be around the same size as the frag and as narrow as possible.
  2. Next, fill the container with water to the top.
  3. Pour the water into a graduated cylinder and record the initial amount. I'm not sure what size we need yet, but I'm guessing around a 200 ml. I'll find out once I get my frag.
  4. Again, fill the container to the top with water (be sure to use water from your aquarium!) and place in the frag. Do this in a place where it won't matter when water spills out of the top.
  5. Pour the remaining water back into the graduated cylinder and record the amount. The difference between step 3 and step 5 is the amount of water displaced by the coral frag, i.e., the size of the frag.
  6. Each time you measure the frag, repeat steps 1-5. This way you can change the size of the container if the frag grows to large for the initial container (or you lose it) without affecting the results.

What do you all think?

CJ

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back