SPS Growth Challenge thread

jbannick22586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work great for the intial testing but what about down the road when the frag isnt really a frag anymore and attached to the LR?

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337214255.953400.jpg

Here is mine.

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It shouldn't make a difference since we are working on percent difference anyway.

I've been giving some thought to how we should measure the frags and I think I've come up with a decent method. The issue was that a graduated cylinder would be accurate, but wouldn't be large enough to hold the frag. A beaker would be large enough to hold the frag, but doesn't have enough markings to give you a precise enough measurement of the water displacement. With this method, you can use any size container to hold the frag, but will only need to purchase a graduated cylinder.

1. First, you will need some sort of container that can hold the coral frag. Ideally, it would be around the same size as the frag and as narrow as possible.
  2. Next, fill the container with water to the top.
  3. Pour the water into a graduated cylinder and record the initial amount. I'm not sure what size we need yet, but I'm guessing around a 200 ml. I'll find out once I get my frag.
  4. Again, fill the container to the top with water (be sure to use water from your aquarium!) and place in the frag. Do this in a place where it won't matter when water spills out of the top.
  5. Pour the remaining water back into the graduated cylinder and record the amount. The difference between step 3 and step 5 is the amount of water displaced by the coral frag, i.e., the size of the frag.
  6. Each time you measure the frag, repeat steps 1-5. This way you can change the size of the container if the frag grows to large for the initial container (or you lose it) without affecting the results.

What do you all think?

CJ

This sounds about right to me. I believe I get the displacement method. Makes sense. Just wondering if said size container will be big enough as the coral gets larger. Anyhow I think we are on the right path here

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, what happens when the frag starts growing on the rock work? Do we keep moving it around so it can't ? Do we keep it on a rack for the six months? Just thought i'd throw it out there as from what i'm seeing these frags are already or almost fully encrusted on the plugs.. just a tought..

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my frag today. Will post a pic when it is all acclimated and ready.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work great for the intial testing but what about down the road when the frag isnt really a frag anymore and attached to the LR?

This sounds about right to me. I believe I get the displacement method. Makes sense. Just wondering if said size container will be big enough as the coral gets larger. Anyhow I think we are on the right path here

That's the good thing about this method- you can change the holding vessel as the coral grows without significantly affecting the results since you are measuring the water displaced with something else.

CJ

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my little nugget. Just put in. Also got some other goodies from Adam in the same shipment :)

57236337136-vi.jpg

18236344624-vi.jpg

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back