300 gallon DD new build with 300 gallon DD livestock transfer.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. While I'm new to reef2reef, I have been involved in the aquarium hobby for 28 years thanks to my dad who got me started. I've kept everything from freshwater, discus, african cichlids and of course, reef tanks. I'm partial to the reef tank as the ocean and diving are my passions and like most folks I started small and realized... Hey I could go bigger!

Having my own little piece of the reef has been the topic of many long conversations with my dad throughout the years. As a 60th birthday gift a few years back, I went ahead and surprised my father with a 300 gallon deep dimension reef tank. Its been up and running for over 3 years and has brought us hours of enjoyment. There is nothing better than coming home from a long week of work to sit by your own piece of the ocean and unwind. However, with the birth of my son 14 months ago (and the first grandchild in the family), my parents have since put their house on the market and are looking to move closer than there 50 minute commute. Thus begins the epic build/transfer of a Marineland 300g DD tank in my house.

I should preface by saying this is a retrospective as over the past holiday weekend, over a year of discussion and preparation was completed!

I hope this thread serves as a source of information and entertainment. It will encompass the entire build of a custom filtration system in my basement, to the logistics of safely transferring a fully matured reef tank with 1000lbs of liverock, mulitple LPS corals, and several fish. My next post will discuss the preparation that went into this project and as time goes on obviously I will be posting a ton of pictures. Excited to share my experience of this epic project with you guys!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, are you going to try and set up the live rock the same way or are you going for a different scape with the move?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Prep considerations

The first thing that was of concern for us with the transfer of the tank would be the logisitics of moving such a large quantity of water, live rock, and livestock safely. I had initial reservations of giving up the old 300 gallon tank and began brainstorming about how we could salvage the tank and safely move everything. Initial plans were to establish the filtration system and build a custom tank stand at my house and then establish "holding tanks" for the fish/liverock, and one for the corals. Then we would have a large water transport system in our car (Land Rover Discovery) where we would drain the mature water into and hold it, while we transfered my dad's tank to my house, plumbed the tank and then put the mature water back in. I'm exhausted just explaining that scenario, so you can only imagine what the labor would have been like if we went that route. And for those of you not familiar with the Marineland 300 DD it is 420 pounds dry and 72x36x27.

While initially I felt this would be more cost effective, this would essentially cause us to move the livestock twice, transfer a ton of tank water at once, and have to set up holding tanks for everything. We even considered housing the fish/corals at a LFS until the tank was moved to my house. However, after months of back and forth, and discussions with my LFS (who by the way I feel fortunate to have as a resource which is not always the case) we determined the most efficient (yet not cheap) way was to simply buy a new 300 gallon DD to have plumbed and ready to go at my house, so we therefore would be dealing with just the livestock, liverock and coral transfer. Sadly my dad's tank will belong to a lucky customer from our local fish store but we are happy it is going to someone who is going to take good care of it!

With this strategy in place, we began preparations for the build on my end which started with a custom built white stand, complete with a dumby wall and holes drilled through the floor for access to the brains of the operation which would be housed 1 floor below in my basement. I will post a picture of the stand when I get home tonight. I can take absolutely no credit for it as it was built and designed by my contractor who happens to also be a master carpenter. More to come guys!

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not already done so I would check out Headie Corals on Rte 5 in North Haven. I've known Jeff for years and his partner Kirk are both great LFS owners who are very knowledgeable.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, BfishLpond78, unfortunately Jeff from Headi Corals will be taking the tank and I believe he has a buyer in mind already. But check with them. I have not transferred all the fish so the old one is still running and will take us a week or two to break down and clean.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know them both, Kirk bought a bunch of rainbow Acans off me awhile ago and I've known Jeff for a few years. They have a great little store.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually not too bad....a store in NY has a yearly sale when Marineland does their inventory blowout...I may wait till then, but anyway...good luck with the build!!!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually not too bad....a store in NY has a yearly sale when Marineland does their inventory blowout...I may wait till then, but anyway...good luck with the build!!!

I agree, I have seen numerous deals on 300DD tanks. I think I may know what store you are talking about.

It appears that the 300DD is the most bang for your buck when it comes to tanks.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic failure

Guys, sadly after 6 days of being up and running I came home to a flooded room. We believe it is a seal failure but won't know more until all the sand is out. Floor is ruined and major water damage to the basement. Stay tuned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back