380/500 Gallon Build

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together a stand for the blue barrels this morning to get them off the ground. Have to add some extra bits on the top to support them better as I made it a little bigger then intended. I dont see them moving at all but you never know, and I dont want one to fall through when its full. And then of course paint that as well so it matches.

I will tie them both together rather then seperate like they are now and put a float in there to keep them full, rather then me carying buckets to them to fill them like I did in the past.

gallery_1_1_2208372.jpg

gallery_1_1_109192.jpg

The smaller brute can you see back in the corner is the top-off water, and the larger one to the right is the salt water. Its full to the brim with salt water from over 2 years ago when I had the system up and running. Has had a pump running in there the entire time.

I will do just like before and have auto water changes. Small amounts but every single day.

Making progress! What type of setup/pump system do you plan to run for the autowater changes?

The saltwater still mixing in brute shows you never really planned to get out of saltwater/reefkeeping for long :wink:

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress! What type of setup/pump system do you plan to run for the autowater changes?

The saltwater still mixing in brute shows you never really planned to get out of saltwater/reefkeeping for long :wink:
Its just a couple maxi jets and some apex programming. One will pump water from the sump to the floor drain. And one to pump fresh salt water back after the drain cycle completes. It may not be the most accurate way with floats and a set maximum time in case of float failure, but it did the job.

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a couple maxi jets and some apex programming. One will pump water from the sump to the floor drain. And one to pump fresh salt water back after the drain cycle completes. It may not be the most accurate way with floats and a set maximum time in case of float failure, but it did the job.

Interesting. We want to set up an autowater change setup of some type, will be keeping an eye on yours for sure. We want to keep it simple, and that sounds like a fairly simple way to set it up.

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some leftover 2x10 to the top today for more support under the barrels and painted it. Now just have to get them tied together and RO hooked up to them. I need new filters and both membranes replaced.

gallery_1_1_1740411.jpg

gallery_1_1_1804794.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 3/4" conduit last night and 1 1/2" PVC that I will need. I can't belive the chore it was to find a place that would put the 90 degree bend in it for me. I suppose I could have just grabbed a bender off the shelf and did it myself in the store but I didn't want to lol. The conduit will be hanging the lights. I will have to trim it down some as I don't want it to go all the way to the front of the tank, but didnt want to bend it short either. Better to have too much than not enough. Then with some pipe straps I can clamp it down on the back of the stand to the desired height.

gallery_1_1_2043018.jpg

Got a start this morning on painting it before heading to the shop.

gallery_1_1_1419033.jpg

I bought a new PVC cutter since my previous one cut sooo much and I remember was all bent up and not all the great anymore. Didnt realize when they say 1 5/8 capacity they meant outside diameter, so my 1 1/2 PVC is too **** big for it. Hacksaw I guess it will be.

gallery_1_1_1150014.jpg

And my small BRS order arrived with the stuff I need to get water operational again. As well as an additional float for in the blue barrel and a splitter to split the line off in 2 directions. Got some refractometer calibration fluid and a couple of heaters as well to meet the free shipping amount.

gallery_1_1_2224778.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is coming together.

It is getting there. Time for the equipment to start rolling in soon.

Water is operational again! Now back to drinking it as its much better then tap water.

gallery_1_1_745905.jpg

Modified the plumbing on them a bit so now there is just a single output.

gallery_1_1_1072728.jpg

Splitter and second float installed

gallery_1_1_1817156.jpg

Getting about 51 PSI, little below reccomended, but always been that way.

gallery_1_1_312260.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little more done last night and this morning. Light hangers are painted, trimmed down, and mounted to the stand. Just kind of guessing at the right height, but its easily changable by just loosening the clamps a bit and sliding the pipe up or down.

gallery_1_1_928095.jpg

gallery_1_1_1285743.jpg

gallery_1_1_1727428.jpg

Got a little bit of plumbing started as well. Only so much I can do without any equipment to work with here yet such as the hammerhead.

gallery_1_1_965050.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put this little creation together for the return line to split it up into the 4 returns of the tank.

gallery_1_1_81264.jpg

Not glued to the pipe yet but just dry fitted. Looks like everything on the tank will come with barbs which I dont mind. Gives it some flexibily with vinyl tubing.

gallery_1_1_741706.jpg

Hose clamps work well for holding the pipe up above the floor as they cant fit through.

gallery_1_1_1348385.jpg

And the stand is looking good, bought a new 4 foot level just for this haha as the only one I had was like 8 inches long.

gallery_1_1_85551.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a few goodies yesterday, some of which should be here tomorrow already:

Neptune Apex GOLD
Apex IO Breakout Box
Apex auto feeder
Apex advanced leak detector
Apex leak detection probes (2)
Apex Jebaeo DC pump controller
Jebao RW-20 Wavermakers (2 to start with)
Jebao DC-4 dosing pump (4 heads)
Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda hybrid pump
REEF OCTOPUS 12" REGAL 300INT INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER
AquaStar 165W dimmable LED lights (8) All of which I will be modifying to be fully controlled by the Apex VDM.

Pretty exciting stuff to have some equipment on the way!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need more vdm modules if you plan on running more than 4 channels. Ie most lights are two channels each so unless you want all or half of them doing the same thing I would get more vdm modules. East west rise and set is cool with lighting.

Also I moded my lights so if you need any help let me know.

Looking great so far.

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need more vdm modules if you plan on running more than 4 channels. Ie most lights are two channels each so unless you want all or half of them doing the same thing I would get more vdm modules. East west rise and set is cool with lighting.

Also I moded my lights so if you need any help let me know.

Looking great so far.
Yep i need more anyways for the jebao pumps as well.

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammerhead/baracuda came today.

gallery_1_2_633709.jpg

The 8 lights showed up as well. Got them all wired up right away for the Apex VDM. Now they have no more manual dimmers.

gallery_1_2_386068.jpg

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I went to town as soon as I got the lights out of the boxes. Removed one manual dimmer to run the wires through and just left the second dimmer in place but wires are cut. Soldered in my own wiring and good to go. The lights then connect to ethernet cable I made up which connects into the Apex VDM.

gallery_1_2_602972.jpg

gallery_1_2_815119.jpg

This morning I was up early working on the lights. Raised the light hangers now that I know how far the lights hang. They will be 12 inches above the top of the tank. I have one light wired wrong so I will have to redo, it's the first one I did.

gallery_1_1_302985.jpg

gallery_1_1_375754.jpg

Power ran to one of them with it as dim as it gets. The fans do not run either when dimmed down. Have 16 power cords to manage with all of these.

gallery_1_1_1902711.jpg

No problem with sagging from the wieght. I bent each one up about an inch, and then after the added weight it comes back down pretty close to the correct level.

gallery_1_1_660738.jpg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build, what a beast! :)

Are you going to run cross piping to keep all the fixtures straight, or something?

OP
OP
foxvalleypcgeek

foxvalleypcgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build, what a beast! :)

Are you going to run cross piping to keep all the fixtures straight, or something?

Don't plan on it, they lign up pretty well once I level out all the fixtures. But that comes after the wiring is all tidied up.

Here is a video of the lights:

http://youtu.be/sKj3l1d8gic

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back