BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Im from Quebec in canada.

This project is gonna be my fourth Fish Tank project.

This is my jump from fresh to salt.

Ill provide evolution over time.

Actual Equipements :

265 Gallons Marineland 2 Corner flow / 84"X24"X30" / 2 520 Lbs. Filled weight
125 Gallons Marineland Regular Tanl / 72"X18"X22" / 1 160 Lbs. Filled weight
we are Painting the back of the tanks With Black MetalForce Paint

Building the Stand and canopy with a cabinetmaker.
Plywood Framing
Walnut Doors and mouldings

Heres is some pics. of the evolution.

Fishtank_zpssbdoe9fw.jpg
IMG_2012_zpsgvaaxsb5.jpg
IMG_2060_zpsvkzcdpkx.jpg

Figuring Herbie Full siphon & wet Bean animal on each side To run Around 3 000 GPH, Return is gonna be over the top with a manifold.
IMG_2059_zpsg6qg04lr.jpg
IMG_2005_zpsranr4ljd.jpg

Furniture is gonna be floor to ceiling. in a corner wall Ill Add some pics of the pre-set up later.

I Did not bought the mechanical parts yet Im still figuring out.

You will ask Why I raised the thank so high ! thats for 2 reason have a good view of the tank when you stand and get more space for the sump.

I set up the sump space to install a 12" Skimmer from JNS -

http://www.jnsaquaria.com/2007html/p...l=U-6&lang=eng But im waiting the

ConeS Q serie 12" inch version.

http://www.jnsaquaria.com/2007html/n...lang=eng&ID=64

Feel free to comment Ill appreciate your support in my building process.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the guy you have been emailing. Maybe you should post your flow goals on here as well, so people can comment. I understand the basics of the drain system, but have never actually installed one of these myself, so I don't know any exact numbers that people are getting. The cabinet and room look awesome. It's going to be a very nice build.

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hey anyone had tried to fit a 1 1/2" Bulkhead in a 1 3/4" hole... Those holes are pre-drilled but seam large for my 1" bulkhead so my guess is maybe I can upscale bulkhead size.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Remember, it isn't just the size of the bulkhead that is limiting your flow. Those overflows were designed to flow about 600-700 GPH a piece. I would say that with running the Herbie setup, you could probably do around 900 per side and it still be safe. Anymore more than that and I would worry about the other side being able to keep up if a clog occurred and having to take the entire flow. Some people have cut out half the teeth to give it more flow capability, but you still run into the same problem of oeverall drain size. Going to 1.5" plumbing and still using the 1" bulkheads will cut down on some friction loss and will allow it to flow a little more water. Honestly, if you want to run around 3000 GPH, I think your only option is to rip them out, plug the holes, and design an overflow that is meant to handle that much water.[/FONT]

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I gonna [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif] cut out half the teeth to give it more flow capability, and maybe more than that. But kind of strange looking but I like the corner flow... For sure Im not going to match 3 000 Gph. I more trying to get the most possible flow with the actual tank. the only modification Im ready to do is to add Coast to coast by linking the 2 overflow. I am about 2" from my wall with this setup here there is no room behind the tank. That was more a reflexion than a real intention to go with nipple I don't like stuff that is not fully glued. the only part not glued up gonna be the standpipe in the bulkhead. Thanks for your advice jugger for sure next tank will be totally different overflow system. There is a short story about this tank that im happy is the fact that Marineland Replaced me for a bran new one so Im happy with the after service.[/FONT]

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those overflows work well if you stay within the parameters of the system. I would increase the plumbing on the open drain to 1.5" reducing down for the 1" bulkheads, leave the full siphon 1" the entire way with a 1" gate valve. Cut out every other tooth and shoot for around 2000 GPH. You will still be well within the envelope of the drain system and will have to clog atleast 2 of the 4 drains before you really have to start worrying about a overflow.

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nice, I already Bought the piping to be 1 1/2 under the tank too And I bougth 1 1/2" gatevalve thats OK or I should reduce to 1" gatevavle ? I also have the intention tu plumb the return pump with 1 1/2" up to the tank and after reduce with 7X nozzles at 3/4 or 1" loc line

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Hello juggernault I received my gate-valves they are so nice !!! love them, here is a pic of my stand progress. [/FONT]
IMG_2066_zps60xyecrg.jpg

Im freeking out since yesterday about the fact that it might not be strong enough so all your advice will be welcome... For sure Ill add additional braces for the central plywood to for a L with them.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty strong to me! Most people way overbuild their stands. Usually because of a lack of wood working equipment to produce quality joints. Cutting up 2X4s and screwing them together is easy. Believe me, I have built around 6 stands that way for myself.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be nice. Just a little word of caution. Be careful with those Marineland tanks. I've seen a lot of them fail lately.

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone still following this up? there is the walnut wood doors installed. few adjustments and we are ready for full install next week. "Most brillant thing the full Hood that open in the top of the canopy.

IMG_2082_zpsk8ug2r5s.jpg

IMG_2081_zpsyohvtiom.jpg

[video]http://vid483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/BlackShark087/IMG_2080_zpskps1ysg4.mp4[/video]

And there is my little extra Solid wood top for my living room furniture. ;) This cabinetmaker is Awesome

IMG_2083_zpsyz0jfqnp.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man this is sooo nice!

OP
OP
BlackShark087

BlackShark087

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my intention for next peaces of equipments :

Return pump - My objective is to get more flow than i need and reduce with a control device. : Sicce Syncra HF 16.0 in sump.
Syncra HighFlow 10.0 - 12.0 - 16.0 - Multifunctional pumps - Ponds and Fountains - Sicce

Return flow control : 4-Way Wavemaker Version 3 Oceans Motions
Oceans Motions Wavemakers ? OceansMotions

Flow in tank : 2X MaxSpect Gyre XF150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gDgkNCdgoE

Lights : Mazarra-P LED Lighting System
Mazarra-P LED Lighting System

Tank supervising : apex controller
https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/apex-controllers/

Mechanical Filtration :
FILTER SOCKS
&
Skimmer : Aquamax / JNS ConeS Q-6 Inside Sump 3500
:: JNS AQUARIA :: PROVIDE YOU WITH HIGHT QUALITY AQUARIUM EQUIPMENT

here I am right now for shopping cart list ... feel free to comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back