Radion Pro and Polyp Extension

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to see if anyone else has the same experience as myself. I have a radion pro gen 2 over a 60 gallon cube with 95% SPS. I get pretty good growth and color, but the only polyp extension I ever see is at night. I've talked with a few reefers in my local club and they have said the same thing (LEDs tend to inhibit polyp extension). Is it possible the narrow beams of light cause the polyps to retract during the day?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently change to led? If so try reducing white % down to say around 25-30% then bring up slowly so as to allow corals to acclimate. I run led and have polyp extension on all coral and even better on some that i didnt have under t5

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the radion pro for over 2 years now

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have great polyp extension on mine. I am only running at 45% max for an hour a day and average 40% the rest

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have great polyp extension on mine. I am only running at 45% max for an hour a day and average 40% the rest

Are you running a template or a custom program? How long a photoperiod? How far are your lights above the water line? Thanks in advance.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a template or a custom program? How long a photoperiod? How far are your lights above the water line? Thanks in advance.

My tank is 18" deep and lights are 9" above water line. I'm running a custom program on my apex. 10am-9pm. The last 1.5 hours are actinics with no white. I ramp up with 10k for the first 4 hours then 14k for about 2 hours then 20k

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I've shortened the photoperiod and went with the radiant program that will max out at 65%. I get nice colors, but even after a few weeks I really don't see polyps out during the day, just at night.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you feed your tank? This might play a small role also.

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed at 330pm everyday and also usually around 8pm

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly there going after nutrients more in the evening?

I dunno. My purple stylo and a few of my other sps have massive polyp extension at all times. It is just the acros that won't extend during the day. My best guess is that they don't like the intense beams of light. I have a few friends with LEDs and for acros they seem to see the same thing. Not much extension during the day, but good extension at night.

stoneroller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple experiment could be done. Add a panel of glass/acrylic to diffuse the "intense beam of light".

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First rule out a nipping fish.
Second I have had issues with too much LED intensity inhibiting PE.

For example my mille had PE at the shaded side but top side was retracted during the day. My LEDs are not my main lighting but I use them for sunrise/sunset and to extend my tank viewing hours before and after the MH. I reduced all my LEDs to 60% peak from 100% and within 2 weeks the same mille now has PE all around.

A few of my frags which only encrusted or did not grow at all have began to show new growth vertically.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having issues with a couple prices of mine also, I cranked up my flow in the tank and saw vast improvement in all pieces and even better extension on the stuff I thought was already awesome. I have 2 Kessel a360we's.

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40 and an MP10 on a 2 ft cube. I think I have the flow cranked up pretty high. The radiant mode just peaks at 65% and stays there for less than a hour. The rest of the day is just a bell curve. I'm seeing polyps barely trying to peak out during the day, but still no extension. I guess I could bring it down a few percent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back