Question on Led's

iloveswfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55 gallon and i have a 165w hanging over the tank which is dimmable i have noticed that when the blue lights are on they look great, but when the other lighs come on the corals are not as pretty.. i do not have the lights on full they are on less than half.. they are hung about 12 inches above the water should i leave them where they are or bring them up... the manufacture recomends 12 to 16 above the water.

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're going to need the daylight spectrum on your tank. The best thing is to adjust the color to the color you want, and then adjust the light to how the corals react. Make sure you slowly acclimate your corals to the light. LEDS can be brighter than you think

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55 gallon and i have a 165w hanging over the tank which is dimmable i have noticed that when the blue lights are on they look great, but when the other lighs come on the corals are not as pretty.. i do not have the lights on full they are on less than half.. they are hung about 12 inches above the water should i leave them where they are or bring them up... the manufacture recomends 12 to 16 above the water.

Not all LEDs are the same.

165w but which LEDs? If they are 3 watt Bridgelux they are made by several Chinese manufacturers and you really do not know what your getting as there is no binning or standard.

The best thing to do is tweak the fixture to achieve the looks you like, then measure the PAR. You want a minimum 100 PAR on the Sand Bed. I like to see 200 for anemones.

If your in that range you are OK if not you might want to consider supplementing with T5 or another LED fixture.

Bill

Back