Icon and icon compact coverage

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
What is the average coverage of these light fixtures are. I'm not talking about what manufacturer says I'm talking about what kinda coverage are people getting off these lights mounted around 12 inches.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This will help----

I'm running two Icons on a 150g--- 60x24x24 and have them at 18" above the water line. I know once my Sps colonies get larger I'll have to add a few Led strips to get good coverage unless I keep all my acros in a 48x24 area.

If you're going full Sps then they will be good for 48x24x24 for sure. If it's a mixed reef or more LPS and softie dominated two lights is all you'll ever need.

Orphek recommends 15-18" I believe as they have plenty of power at that height.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
This will help----

I'm running two Icons on a 150g--- 60x24x24 and have them at 18" above the water line. I know once my Sps colonies get larger I'll have to add a few Led strips to get good coverage unless I keep all my acros in a 48x24 area.

If you're going full Sps then they will be good for 48x24x24 for sure. If it's a mixed reef or more LPS and softie dominated two lights is all you'll ever need.

Orphek recommends 15-18" I believe as they have plenty of power at that height.
Thanks for the reply I'm trying to get info from people who actually have them on there tank or have had them. Nothing against you but I trust Ryan at BRS about as much as I trust a Joel Olstein sermon . I listened to them once and ended up with an apex paper weight

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just said that he is running 2 on his personal tank……hahaha 60/24/24. What sort of other personal experience do you need? I’m running 2 on my cube but if we are stating that we currently have them and your response is “trying to get info from people who actually have them on their* tank or have had them” I would think that BigE would qualify.
on a side note, for Ed to leave T5‘s and come to Orphek alone, should speak volumes in the ability they have to grow coral as Ed is not a novice SPS grower.

corey

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it plausible to cover a 48x24 @ 13" over the water with a single Icon?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He just said that he is running 2 on his personal tank……hahaha 60/24/24. What sort of other personal experience do you need? I’m running 2 on my cube but if we are stating that we currently have them and your response is “trying to get info from people who actually have them on their* tank or have had them” I would think that BigE would qualify.
on a side note, for Ed to leave T5‘s and come to Orphek alone, should speak volumes in the ability they have to grow coral as Ed is not a novice SPS grower.

corey

As Corey mentioned I have been using them for about 6 months now and am very happy. I saw them on local tanks and saw the results some other people I know that run dominant sps systems.

Because my tank is 60" I had to make a decision on a new light and felt buying a 60" Sunpower wouldn't be in my best interests long term.

That BRS video is mainly for the coverage and par numbers.

Is it plausible to cover a 48x24 @ 13" over the water with a single Icon?

No, you need two.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1

corey
The comment wasn't towards his reply about his personal tank it was towards the attached brs video. To many if there videos point people towards one thing then a year later they do an investigate video and say after a year we are switch to this. Nothing negative was said about his tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back