mature tanks that have always only used LED's

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats good R2R!

Just curious if anyone could provide me with links or show pictures here of reef tanks that used only LED's from the beginning and still only use LED's. I'm hoping to see some mature tanks with good colors :xd:

Thanks,
Kris

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think LEDs have been used long enough in aquariums to have a mature reef using them exclusively...

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEF BRIGHT LED's
IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Very new but so far so good. I had a lot more corals but I am in the middle of changing tanks so Kraylen is holding most of my stuff in his prop tank for me. Thanks again Kray CHEA!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys!

LED's have been around for a while you think someone would have gotten some good growth using them.

Anyone??

I

inactive

View Badges
Ghostbox has always been LED pretty much... Project Jenova will be all LED.. might add some T5 but if the LED plans make me happy I wont.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I think that it feels really natural...looks more real than the harsh yellowish light of MH. (I love my MH, but am DROOLING over a chance to get my hands on some LEDs...something is being worked on now)

I will agree that the back corners seem a little dark...

LEDs have been around for awhile, but remember the first systems like solarus and stuff had lots of problems...many diodes "burned out"...I think that we are now in the age where LED is feasible. I think that tech will continue to take great leaps and bounds as it is now, but...we have the technology to use it, and use it well now. Anyone else agree? :D

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my corals and sps under leds for a year and 2 years in my biocube.. i've chopped or bumped into some of my corals but all in all leds do good for growth and color careful with brains and lobos and acans thou... they will bleach easily.. also alot of reasons alot of people suffer color lose is due to the increased light of leds makes the colors works harder and eat more of your alk and calcium but mainly alk lose due to growth... thats what causes the browning out and so forth alot of people have problems with.. they only thing i've ever noticed as a slight problem is the sps corals like appleberry acro or the strawberry shortcake with the green tint they seem to lose the green tint... i have uv leds under mine as well... mite add a red to see what affect that has.. but everything else is super... with zoas i dont see how people can get excited about zoas without leds... it's a whole different experience with zoas.. scollys and acans too... whole different coral under leds vs t5 or mh.. but definitely growth and stability is there after a year... dosing needs to be upped thou like my kalk reactor doesnt even keep up with ma sps anymore... i have to kalk and baking soda to even keep my numbers stable and mag is at 1400... i'll try to take a pic but alot of the sps i got are within the last 6 months... but some have grown about 3 to 4" especially the milli's... definitely worth it in my book... although the next setup i do i'm thinking about adding 2 48" t5's in the mix.. see if it corrects the green problem on those certain sps...

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth.

My tank has been up for about 2 months, but I have had the sps in after the 2nd week the tank has been setup. All of my sps browned out because of the move, but fast forward to today (1.5 months later) everything is coloring up awesome and there is noticeable growth on everything. Very comparable against when I was using my ATI powermodule. I honestly think leds can provide awesome growth and awesome colors. Its up to you to keep params nice and stable and in check.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 bar Reef Bright LED light Update: SAME TANK AS ABOVE #4
No white only 2 blue and one 50/50: (didn't have a pic with the whites available)
IMG_7513.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

Blue:
IMG_7541.jpg

Last edited:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice pics
couple questions
this is about 4-5 months right?
you said someone was holding many of your corals - did you have any trouble with the sps (especially the maricultures) when you transfered them in?
i'm about a month behind you, and and it seems like my sps are just starting to be happy and grow again. it took a long time for mine to acclimate and take off but now things are really starting to look good. my lps and zoas never skipped a beat though - they loved the leds from the start

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice pics
couple questions
this is about 4-5 months right?
you said someone was holding many of your corals - did you have any trouble with the sps (especially the maricultures) when you transfered them in?
i'm about a month behind you, and and it seems like my sps are just starting to be happy and grow again. it took a long time for mine to acclimate and take off but now things are really starting to look good. my lps and zoas never skipped a beat though - they loved the leds from the start
I had them in Kraylens tank, he is also running Reef Brights in his prop tank. It does take a lil time for them to acclimate but that goes the same for any major change. I think it would be the same stress on them as if you were to switch from HQI to t5, any change is going to make them stress. I think each kind of lighting has there pro's and con's, I just thought I would give LED'S a shot to try something new. also every light brand is going to run different there is no standard type of LED's, and every one is trying something different. Even though LED's look similar to the eye they burn in many different types of ways. Just wait give them a lil time, at one point I even put my Reef Bright up for sale because I didn't trust them, then out of nowhere everything tuned in and started to look great, now I couldn't be happier with them. One more important thing, find you hot spots in you tank, LED's are really direct in the way they cast there light.

Boboreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that pic alot with 2 blue and 1 50/50.. I only have paly and zoa in my tank, u think they be live & thrive? Thanks..

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be fine but you would also benefit from a white light strip, sooner or later you might get a more of a variety of corals and might need the white. Kraylen ran just a 50/50 on his prop tank for a while and he had acans, chalices, and many other corals that did fine off of just one strip, although I wouldn't suggest keeping it like that, he did finally upgrade . I think my P's and Z's look the best under my LED''s

moto826

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had leds over my tank for a year and my zoas lost lots of color so i traded them for a chiller and back to mh and every thing is looking better now thank god

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back