New to SW tanks

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all and Happy Easter.

I have had fresh water aquariums for the last 16 years and currently I'm breeding angelfish. I have a 5ft community angel tank, a 5ft breeder tank, a 4ft community angel tank, and various fry and grow out tanks. I love the look of planted tanks and the colour and movement of the plants in the water so I have always stayed away from saltwater because I thought they looked a bit barren unless they were massive and a full biotope.

I got a "bargain" which I ended up only keeping the rock an equipment from and have had to get extras - a bargain is not always a bargain. LOL I had read a lot already, but just the same as giving birth, reading is not nearly the same as the actual thing. I got a lovely 2ft cube tank (216 ltr, 57 gal) and have now set it up with the sand and rocks and also purchased some more live rock to boost the system. This has been running for about a week and a half now. Still monitoring water and the skimmer is still turned off. I have a lovely LFS owner who won't let me buy anything living other than the rock until I can prove to her by water sample that my parameters are all good. :) I trust her and I am also trying to further educate myself as she obviously can't know everything and can't be at my place to monitor the tank.

I have a canister filter on the tank as well (yes I have read a sump is better, but at this time can't do it). Powerhead is 3000ltrs/hr. I did have a 5000ltrs/hr but it kept blowing my sand out of the way. I only have a shallow sand bed of about an inch and a half. I have a basic SW test kit - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. Parameters currently - pH 8.0, Amm 0-0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10, SG 1.023, Temp 26deg Celsius. Have bee very excited to see some of the living things coming from the live rock, 2 small starfish and a small mussel type thing.

I have also been trying to find out what sort of fish I can put in there but this is really hard. I can read the information but there is no picture, or I can see the pictures but need to search the information. Also difficult to find out who is compatible with who. I did find a great site that helped a lot.

The Marine Compatibility Guide

The kids obviously want Clownfish (thank you very much Disney) and I would love some colour. I also am trying to find out if these fish prefer to live alone, or if they are happier with 3-5 of their own kind. FW fish sites tell you all this but I am still reading about SW species to try to find out. The following is what I am thinking about. Can I please get advice/comments/suggestions as to whether this will work in my tank and if this is a good initial "dip in the water" for my first SW tank. I have tried to pick peaceful easy care species.

1 pair Ocellaris Clowns
Bicolour Blenny
Damselfish, Chrysiptera springeri
Basslet, Gramma Loreto
Crab, either of the following
Calcinus elegans
Calcinus laevimanus
Paguristes cadenati
Shrimp, either of the following
Lysmata amboinensis
Lysmata debelius
Snail, Neobernaya spadicea

Corals & bits, unsure of, this was some of the list that came up
Fanworm, Sabellastarte spetabilis
Polyps, Briareum sp.
HC, Acanthastrea echinata
HC, Caulastraea curvata
HC, Cynarina lacrymalis
HC, Lithophyllon repanda
HC, Nemenzophyllia turbida

I also really love the look of Palm Tree Polyps.

Whew, have to practice up more on my Latin I think. :) Also, am I better off putting in corals and getting them established before adding the fish so I don't spook the fish?

Thanks in advance for any comments. :)

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with a canister filter so long as you do the maintenance. A sump is ideal. On my tank, I have rocks, plants, sponges, clam, and prefilter for filtration which is changed every other day to every 3 days.

As for fish, I wouldn't recommend putting in the damsels. Mean little boogers they are.

Be mindful the hermits CAN harass the snails for the shells. Just a simple issue of needing a bigger home. They are awesome at scavenging and cleaning up. I don't have any because in my experience they uproot things that aren't glued down. Although, I had one hermit, it was a pinkish color. Best hermit I'd ever had. Never bothered a single snail. I miss him as strange as it is to say that.

Be mindful of the cowrie, as an adult it may/will eat soft corals.

And welcome to R2R!

VB68

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45261jpg_zpsab450d91.gif
Welcomeaddiction_zps8d922985.png

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another BIG WELCOME to R2R and looking forward to following your adventure.

Cheers, Todd

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! sounds like you have a ton of aquarium experience and that you've definitely done your research. It also sounds like you have a great LFS which is a huge benefit! You stock list sounds great but I wouldn't do the damsels either. You can add either or in terms of first inhabitants, it doesn't matter whether it's fish or coral. Look into goby/pistol shrimps. I love watchman gobies - so cool looking. I'm not up on latin names so I'm not sure on some of your stock ideas :)

OP
OP
MrsDragon

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I fell in love with a dragonet goby (I think it's called) yesterday. the MOST gorgeous little fish and I'm also nuts about dragons so the name didn't hurt either. There are some awesome corals at my LFS. Will post up some later today. I took a heap of pic's for inspiration and also so I can look up what they are and what the requirements are.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back