Care tips

Sakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

My brother and I got in this hobby about 5 months ago when we set up our first 30 gallon nano reef. We started of with some softies because we didn't have proper lighting and as soon as we bought new lights (T5 HO) we started buying some LPS. Since then we tried many SPS but we had no luck.
I am not sure what the problem is, I have been testing ALk and Calcium and all the parameters every other day, I have also been dosing Acropower and potasion from Brightwell every other day.
I have no reactor, I run some chemipure in a media bag. I purchased Kalk and I am going to dose some tomorrow.
I still have no luck at making them survive. I have also thought that the lights might be too close to the corals ( I set the SPS on the higher part of the tank closer to the lights) and I am afraid it is burning them.
I have the mini Innovative Marine skimmer on my 10 gallon sump/refugium. (skimmer too small)?

Please guys I need some help! Any tips for care will be appreciated!

P.S. Here is a picture of the tank without some of the SPS
fish tank.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!! Have you tested your water parameters? Before adding any additives you need to test before adding anything. Need to know what your test results are. Sps corals can be tricky.

OP
OP
S

Sakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike 007

Yes I have been testing the parameters every other day. I also try to test the same time I tested the day before. I also test a few hours later I turn the lights on.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates for SPS need to be in the .05 and under range
What is your lighting? I don't think I read that part?
I'd stop dosing all that stuff if you don't need it. Just watch ALK, CAL, MAG and Nitrates as these are very important in keeping SPS.
Whats the MAG reading, missed that one as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are at 0. I got 6 T5 HO wave point bulbs fixed and matched. I haven't dosed for mag because i do not have a test kit. I am going to the local fish store tomorrow to buy one and im gonna test before i do anything else. My nitrates are at 5.

Tsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dudes, relax....water changes and time. Throw the potions away, water changes, 5 gal/week......and patience. Did I mention patience?

TS

Tsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you are missing the patience. Seriously, wait a few months to add the sps. I have a bare bottom 28 nano, took a good 9 months before the things "took off". You'll get there, I have faith in you both. By the way, where u at?

TS

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I see or don't see out of place is the MAG. Lighting seems fine. What bulbs are you using? Out of 6 lamps you should probably only be running one white lamp and the rest like, 2 blue plus and one actinic, something along those lines. SPS don't much use the 10-14k range, but more in the 14-20k.
Also, you may try to get the Nitrates down under 5, see if that helps you out any.

OP
OP
S

Sakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you are missing the patience. Seriously, wait a few months to add the sps. I have a bare bottom 28 nano, took a good 9 months before the things "took off". You'll get there, I have faith in you both. By the way, where u at?

TS

Stratford Ct

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back