Back in the saddle again

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
everyonefirst of I am not a master diver but I do dive,I have had saltwater aquariums before,had a 55 gal which Ii traded up for a 220 and ended up having to get out of the hobby cause of medical Issues but I was In petco and came across this 55gal that I just could,nt pass up the price lol...so enough talk...you already know Its 55gal and Its 12 1/2 inches deep wish it was a little bit more oh well lol 20 inches high by 4 ft long...filtration for now is a marineland penguin 350,2 petco king powerheads one is 225 and the other is 160,have a 200 watt aqueon heater,salt is instant ocean,I have 100 to 150 pounds I have been accruing for awhile now,substrate is 30LBs carab sea aragonite,my lighting is fluval full spectrum marine and reef 250000k multi spectrum LEDs which is in the pict, 692 lights in total,just got it all put together and started cycling it 1/5/2015,already anxious,cant walk by It without having a look at It lol,so all together I am cycling 760 gallons per hour.really look forward to Ideas that anyone here has.looking forward to the adventure

Attachments

• aquarium 1.jpg
    aquarium 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 175
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 145
  • aquarium 1 (2).jpg
    aquarium 1 (2).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anxious

Hello everyone,left out that I live in NV,so I know it's only been a few days and it's been along while since I cycled a tank but can any of ya tell me about how many days it could b b4 I start seeing my nitrates start rising,thanx y,allhave a good one ttyl

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The length of a cycle really depends on a lot of factors so it's hard to give an exact time. Was the rock you used live or dry? Also have you tested your water to see if you have any ammonia present? Ammonia will show up before nitrates

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle baby cycle

the rock I put in there was dried out live rock,was hoping that would help me with my calcium levels down the road......I know that's not going to help with the cycling process....at least I think it won't ???no I haven't checked tha ammonia level I was kinda hopin to just wait til my nitrates started to spiked going to go get a tester today for the ammonia today cause not knowing what's going on is killing me hahaha

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Welcome!

Some advice, I would take out some of that live rock. I'd remove any rock that is so close to glass that you can't easily get your hand in between. You'll need that room for keeping the glass clean. Also, start reading up on skimmers. I don't know anyone that use a bio-wheel as a filter, but I could be wrong. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh what was I thinking lol

Hahaha now that's funny cause soon as u said clean glass I had to pop myself up along the side of my head so thank u for bringing that up,going to fix that tonight,the skimmer I was going to get another....I did have one along time ago,after my tank goes thru the cycling process so once that's done I will be looking ,definitely will need some advice when that time gets here

OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock revamped

well it was cool that i did that cause now i have more holes for things to swim or crawl thru hahahaha,so here is a pic everyone take care

Attachments

• revamped 2.jpg
    revamped 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

all the rock I have in there is dry it's what I have accumulated over the urs in anticipation of this day lol....I ran down to wal-mart last night and all they had was a cheapy test kit but it does test nitrites ....to get an ammonia kit have to drive 45 mins and can't do that at this time guess I'll have to just wait

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g 4 ft long I went with a lot less liverock feel like I need to add some more

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421722802066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421722802066.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good

Well I will say for the rock u have in there UR tank looks really goodthey say UR suppose to have 3 times in pounds of whatever UR gallonage is,I know the first time I bought live rock for my 55 it cost me a little fortune

OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally excited

WOW what a way to start a day!!!!!looked in my tank this morning and it appears I have the beginning of brown diatoms starting to form. Woo Hoo

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!*Your new system is looking great!I like the massive amount of rock work,this will give you plenty of nooks and crannies for coral.I would encourage you to find a good local fish store in your area.Perhaps they will test your water for free.
DSCF6388_zpsb0b33bb_edit_1421119222246.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome: to R2R! Make use of that space, get as much corals as possible! :lol:

OP
OP
S

Scubamaster39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it's been awhile but I have something in my 55gal tank that drills perfectly round holes in my rock and I'm not sure what it is....any ideas would b appreciated

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back