Hi guys if i build my tank in a rental house and need to move in 6 months time how easy is it to pac

finno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys if i build my tank in a rental house and need to move in 6 months time how easy is it to pack up and move how does recycle the water ect go ? Like with re introducing live stock inverts ect scared to start a tank that i will probs have to move in 6 months cheers guys and girls :)

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size but moving tanks is no fun. If you bring at least 50% of your original water (the more the better) you can just set it back up right away with a small to no effect on the livestock. Your tank may go thru a mini cycle though, depending on how long it was down for but usually not. Nitrates and Phosphate spikes seem to be more of a problem when moving tank due to stirring up everything. Oh and don't worry about the water temp because everything will cool down about the same from no heaters so acclimation is not necessary.

OP
OP
F

finno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at 5ft x2 1/2 x 2 1/2 thats alot of water that needs to be moved and alot of live rock ect and alot of stuff to be broken down i no we will be moving into a bigger place in 6 months was just scared of this as im excited to start a new tank cheers

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait. Just as things are starting to settle in you'd be basically starting over.
Trust me, I just did a complete tear down and rebuild, with everything in holding for two months. Even with that luxury and not moving location, it's still hard on everything and a major PITA.
And taking water with you won't do anything but move over dirty water.

Carlb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start a nano that way you will have a little practice before you set up the big system just my opinion

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a big tank I would wait as well. I have moved a 20g and 10g and it is not too difficult, but definitely not fun.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait to, your tank would barely just be over statt up cycle.

I'd wait and do all your collection of equipment you will need so you can piece it all up slowly instead of huge cash out lay at first.

A tank move that big is murder....as in hard on everything including pocket book.and risk of crashing tank is higher.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back