Thinking of converting my 130 gallon tank to salt water

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating whether to convert my existing 130 gallon tank to salt water or just buying a red sea all in one aquarium.
What would be Involved In converting ? I would rather drill holes in glass for overflow rather than install over the rim type. Is it worth converting and if so how much would it cost opposed to buying a red sea aquarium for around 2,500. thanks John

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! First thing to consider would be if the tank was ever treated with any medications when used as a freshwater tank, if so I would look into a new tank. Second would be to determine weather or not the glass you want to drill is tempered or not, a quick google search will show you how to tell. If it is tempered you cannot drill it so your only option would be a hang on overflow.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already having the tank and stand, definitely less expensive to convert. I would put in a Glass-Holes 1500 gph overflow (for $99, and that included the drill bit) and use a 40 breeder for a sump (assuming you can get it under the stand). You then need to pick up a return pump (I'd go Jebao DCT pump), a skimmer, a couple power heads and some lights (my preference, LED's).

Oh, and welcome!

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have been running a 29 biocube with a couple of fish and some soft corals. I have one kessil a360w light with controller and one vortech 10 mp10 head and one small hydor. I do have a canopy with lighting system in it have to check what kind I think it may be right lights. I bought the whole system on craigslist for almost nothing it is only like 1 yr old beautiful set up if I get a chance I will post a picture. I will have to check if it is tempered glass or not. It really is a solid tank. Thanks for the quick response and help. I have had fresh water tank setups my whole life so salt water is a new venture. But I am loving it so far..

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't drill, check out lifereef overflows. He custom makes everything including sumps and skimmers.

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will thanks. I just don't wanna take a chance of loosing the prime on a hang on one and cause a flood..

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else want to give an opinion will appreciate it. Thanks

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, 08:36 AM
jtcplumb
user-online.png

Registered Member
rank0.jpg
Feedback Score 0
reputation_pos.png
Join DateFeb 2015
LocationNY
Posts9
Mentioned0 Post(s)Tagged0 Thread(s)Quoted0 Post(s)

So what equipment and brand do I need to setup my 130 gallon fresh water tank which is not drilled out ?? Protein Skimmer, Sump size, pump gpm, I have canopy with lights in it, have heaters in tank, and where can I get good rock last live rock I got from LFS was not so smooth to attach corals to. What goes in sump ? I see some put mud in section. Was thinking of getting a aquarium company in to setup for me and get me started I a in Long Island NY anybody know anybody out here ?? Thanks​

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* I would agree that you should s convert your 130 as opposed to buying a new system.For suggestions on equipment you should post up a thread here:Equipment, Lighting, Hardware, Aquarium Filtration As far as sumps go,most people use them to house equipment,liverock,macro algae and/or filtration media.I have a skimmer,return pump,liverock and crushed coral in mine.
DSCF8242_zps5797234_edit_1424182792330_zpsv82rzoa_edit_1426280392421.jpg

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kireek. I am going to North East Reef Convention in Long Island Saturday Many great speakers will be there Including fellow reefers and
I will ask questions ad try to make my decision soon. I got a estimate between 4,00o ad 7,000 to buy all equipment and set up. I can buy a red sea max c250 65 gallon complete and call it a day. I have asked around and people who are running that tank over year like it. Stay Tuned !!!!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef convention sounds fun,maybe we will see some pictures here?The estimate seems a tad high to me.I am sure you can send over 4,000 on a new system but you definitely don't have to.All in one systems are great for plug and play,I started out with one myself.Just keep in mind that they tend to run hot in the summer and need specialized equipment.For example the replacement bulbs may be a odd size or only one type of skimmer will fit into the system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back