New member and new to the hobby!

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to get into the hobby for quite some time already. Finally did. Starting with a nano 20g long. Love the look of the longer shallow aquariums. Did plenty of research before starting anything and finally got it up and running. It's been running for 4 days now. I have a penguin 350 hang on back filter running on it. Would you guys recommend adding a powerhead or circulation pump for more flow or is the filter good enough?? Any advice, tips, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from everyone here. Oh, and a noob question, how do I post pictures?? Haha.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20150315_200434.jpg
20150315_200434.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I would get a powerhead personally. Most corals like more florida and than what the hang on will create.

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum and hobby! I would get a powerhead in there. the coral/fish will need more flow than the filter will provide. The filter should be fine but make sure you clean it regularly. I ran a canister filter on a 65g for two years with great success but had to clean it often. If you can afford it maybe look into a hang on the back skimmer. It is not absolutely necessary but will make life easier and export a lot of nutrients out of the water. Like I said, not absolutely necessary provided you clean the HOB filter, regular water changes, and dont overfeed and overstock the tank. Best of luck and ask as many questions as you can. We are all here to help! Have fun!

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What area of the tank do you guys recommend I should put one and what direction should I point it toward??

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a 750 koralia from end to end and slap a skimmer on it..(Berlin method) Ditch the bio wheel.. My 2c.. Welcome to the hobby and good luck!

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nono sized tank I shoot for 30x to 40x tank size for circulation with a skimmer.. If you get a 750gph power head yes.. But if you get a 750gph circulation pump no.. These are going to make a wide spread of water move and not a jet stream :)

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh ok. That's pretty cool. Now I know. Should I get one now that the tank is cycling or should I just wait until it's ready and I start adding live stock??

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef,JGon!* I would grab your circ pump now,before adding more critters.Although I am not familiar with the models suggested,I would mention that not all circ pumps are critter safe.For example Anemones can wonder into them,so be sure to research your animals before adding to your tank.
DSCF8242_zps5797234_edit_1424182792330_zpsv82rzoa_edit_1426280392421.jpg

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to see the setup. Looks good. :-D can't wait to see it progress. Welcome to r2r

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to see the setup. Looks good. :-D can't wait to see it progress. Welcome to r2r
I'm trying to upload a picture of what it looked like before my xenia situation. But tapatalk doesn't want to load it for some reason. :/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back