OH NO, another 40B

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in the middle of cycling. So not much to see at the moment. But here are some shots of my set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 460
OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind I figured it out. Nah, it was done by my LFS. Extremely quiet. They did an excellent job. Chester Aquaria is my LFS.

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just had a set back. Luckily there were no expensive animals in the tank at the time. My Hydor ATO kept topping off. Luckily my wife was at home to make sure it didn't get too out of hand. So my tank is now saturated with freshly made RO/DI water. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer now before I can add anything. So, what should I do? When I get evaporation, should I top off with salt water to get my salinity back up. I didn't check it yet, but about 5 gallons from my reservoir was dumped into my system.

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked again and I think it was a little more than 5 gallons that was dumped. My Salinity I currently at 1.020. Not as bad as I thought it would be. :)

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the skimmer to break it in and to get myself acclimated to using it. Valve was used to dial back the flow. It was too much for my pump to handle and was overflowing my tank when I did the fresh water test.
Change out 5g's with fresh SW.

I have 2 questions. What is the valve on your overflow for?
Why are you running your skimmer during the cycling stage?

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just had a set back. Luckily there were no expensive animals in the tank at the time. My Hydor ATO kept topping off. Luckily my wife was at home to make sure it didn't get too out of hand. So my tank is now saturated with freshly made RO/DI water. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer now before I can add anything. So, what should I do? When I get evaporation, should I top off with salt water to get my salinity back up. I didn't check it yet, but about 5 gallons from my reservoir was dumped into my system.

Uh oh...as in Hydor Smart Level ATO? If so, why do you think it happened? I just bought one and will be receiving it today...:suspicious: I know there's a minimum of 23+- seconds that the pump has to run from what I understand. I plan putting a valve somewhere along the return line. I have a pump that I normally use for water changes and don't see the need to buy another if I already have one. Perhaps, I can learn from this issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure what exactly happened but from what I saw when I got home was, I think I created a siphon. My top-off line was too close to the water line when it filled up. Therefore creating the siphon. Which according to the manufacturer is a real big no, no. I'll have to start it back up this weekend while I'm home and watch it to make sure that is what happened. I have since fixed it to make sure a siphon doesn't happen again. I'll keep you posted.
Uh oh...as in Hydor Smart Level ATO? If so, why do you think it happened? I just bought one and will be receiving it today...:suspicious: I know there's a minimum of 23+- seconds that the pump has to run from what I understand. I plan putting a valve somewhere along the return line. I have a pump that I normally use for water changes and don't see the need to buy another if I already have one. Perhaps, I can learn from this issue.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure what exactly happened but from what I saw when I got home was, I think I created a siphon. My top-off line was too close to the water line when it filled up. Therefore creating the siphon. Which according to the manufacturer is a real big no, no. I'll have to start it back up this weekend while I'm home and watch it to make sure that is what happened. I have since fixed it to make sure a siphon doesn't happen again. I'll keep you posted.

Please do, and thank you. I'm assuming you drilled a little hole for a siphon break? Or...

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my parameters look to be ready for the next step.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
Alk-7.5
Cal-464(I may have to recheck this. think I made a mistake when adding my SW)
PH-8.0
Salinity-1.022(Trying to get it back up after my ATO mishap)
What do you guys think? CUC? Fish?

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new additions from YR's live sale. Acclimated and look to be doing ok. Unless I'm not seeing what you're seeing.
IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3348.jpg
IMG_3349.jpg
IMG_3350.jpg
IMG_3351.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back