OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And more. Still trying to get my camera skills together. Overexposed I see now. Should have lowered my shutter speed. I know next time.
IMG_3362.jpg
IMG_3364.jpg
IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_3367.jpg

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change yesterday, 10gal and tested today. Here's what they are.
Cal-450
Alk-9.9
Mag-1400
Salinity- 1.026
P.H.-8.2
Nitrate-8
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Phosphate-0
Any and all please chime in if you see something that needs to be looked at a little more closely. I just took a flashlight and looked at my SPS and some look to be turning white in places. Will look again when the lights turn back on to be sure. Thanks

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags looking good man. Possible that your lights can be bleaching your sps. Also it can be new growth that makes it white in certain areas. Im no expert though.

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the water is your light and what is your schedule for it? I have the same light and tank and am interested to see how people run them?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your nutrients (too low) with the SPS, otherwise they will stress, bleach, and die in a newer tank. I remember when I started this hobby a few years ago, all the teaching was to strip the water of nitrates and phosphates but unfortunately that always leads to the same result, bleached out mostly dead corals trying to survive in lifeless water. It's tough when a tank is new but you will need to try and keep small particle food in the water column for the SPS and at the same time manage any algae issues that will crop up from the heavier feeding. I corrected my feeding issues when my tank was over a year old and the algae explosion was significant but eventually the tank settled back into balance.

My favorite coral food is Reef Roids, but other small particle food is good as well. Kent Coral Accel is another additive I like and the corals really seem to respond too.

That's about all the advice I can give that's worth anything. :) Good looking tank, looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

edit: Get those Blastos into the shade or they will melt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the water is your light and what is your schedule for it? I have the same light and tank and am interested to see how people run them?
About 12 inches from the waterline. I run them ramping up, 20min intervals. Starting at 10am, max(CH1-30, CH2-70, CH3-60)@1pm-6pm. Then it ramps down until 11pm. Night lights come on until 2am then total darkness.

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your nutrients (too low) with the SPS, otherwise they will stress, bleach, and die in a newer tank. I remember when I started this hobby a few years ago, all the teaching was to strip the water of nitrates and phosphates but unfortunately that always leads to the same result, bleached out mostly dead corals trying to survive in lifeless water. It's tough when a tank is new but you will need to try and keep small particle food in the water column for the SPS and at the same time manage any algae issues that will crop up from the heavier feeding. I corrected my feeding issues when my tank was over a year old and the algae explosion was significant but eventually the tank settled back into balance.

My favorite coral food is Reef Roids, but other small particle food is good as well. Kent Coral Accel is another additive I like and the corals really seem to respond too.

That's about all the advice I can give that's worth anything. :) Good looking tank, looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

edit: Get those Blastos into the shade or they will melt.
I currently am using Acropower and waiting to get some cyclop-eeze. No one seems to have it in stock. Maybe I'll give reef roids a try. Will do about those Blastos. Thanks for the advice.

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 12 inches from the waterline. I run them ramping up, 20min intervals. Starting at 10am, max(CH1-30, CH2-70, CH3-60)@1pm-6pm. Then it ramps down until 11pm. Night lights come on until 2am then total darkness.
Oh wow, I still have some room to play with. Channel one for me maxes out at 30, 2 is 50, 3 is 45. My light is also 12" above the water. Do you leave channel 3 on during the day when 1 and 2 are on?

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Nice collection you got going!!

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to have a diatom bloom. Is there something in particular I need to do to combat this? Or just let it takes its course. Tank is new. Thanks.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run it's course. You can blow it off your rock if you wish. It's ugly right?!! Lol

By the way-I have the exact same setup/same lights :) Transferred my corals over 3 days ago and am still trying to figure out the lighting schedule :( How did you acclimate yours to the new lights?

Last edited:
OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run it's course. You can blow it off your rock if you wish. It's ugly right?!! Lol

By the way-I have the exact same setup/same lights :) Transferred my corals over 3 days ago and am still trying to figure out the lighting schedule :( How did you acclimate yours to the new lights?
Well I really didn't have to since they were all bought from a live sale where they were kept under leds. So, not much of an acclimation to lights at all. Love your set up :)

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was going so well and now diatoms and I see some cyano. What do I do and can anyone tell me why all of a sudden after all this time has this stuff come to haunt me :-(. Did some testing and here are the results:
Cal-450
Alk-8.7
Mag-1400
Salinity-1.026
PH-8.2
Nitrates-10(high, have a scheduled water change this weekend)
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Phos.-0
I use Hanna checkers and Red sea test kits. For flow I have 2 Vortech MP 10W along with my return. So, I have plenty of flow. I just don't understand why now. I haven't added anything in 2 weeks and when I did it was just some coral. Thanks in for any and all your help.
IMG_3485.jpg
IMG_3486.jpg
If some closer shots are needed, I can break out my macro lens. Thanks again.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back