Could use a boost - 40B Fiji AIO Drop-in or Tidal 110 HOB

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I PROMISE I've been searching for an answer both here and on the webs in general but I've got an Aqueon 40B sitting in my already cramped living room just staring at me while I try to decide what's best.

I'm already outgrowing my Fluval Evo and all I can afford or maintain all by my fifty something self is a 40 gallon tank. I think I've decide against a sump because it's going to be too expensive and confusing.

What are the clear advantages of the AIO drop in unit and will a Seachem/Sicce Tidal 110 be good enough. Also, how much will a HOB skimmer help - does it really matter in a tank my size? I know a 40B is a tiny tank but it's the best I can do on my single person budget and space available in my house.

Any tips are SUPER appreciated - videos, blogs, R2R threads. I pretty much watch YouTube for reefing info pretty much nonstop when I'm not cleaning my 10 tanks, or doing yard work. I'm pretty amazed at how much there is to learn compared to the freshwater world.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a hob skimmer over a large hob filter. I personally would not suggest a drop in aio as it will reduce your space inside the aquarium too much.

I would potentially add a smaller hob filter to run carbon.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a hob skimmer over a large hob filter. I personally would not suggest a drop in aio as it will reduce your space inside the aquarium too much.

I would potentially add a smaller hob filter to run carbon.
Good point about taking up room in the tank. Realistically, unless I win a lottery, I'm probably not going any larger so this has got to do. I'll look at hob skimmers.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about taking up room in the tank. Realistically, unless I win a lottery, I'm probably not going any larger so this has got to do. I'll look at hob skimmers.
I just bought the aquamaxx hob 1.5 which I like so far. I have used the Reef octopus hob and the small eshopps nano skimmer as well. The aquamaxx seems like a better skimmer than the other two so far but it does make more micro bubbles than the others so far. BRS has had them on sale lately.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the aquamaxx hob 1.5 which I like so far. I have used the Reef octopus hob and the small eshopps nano skimmer as well. The aquamaxx seems like a better skimmer than the other two so far but it does make more micro bubbles than the others so far. BRS has had them on sale lately.
I was JUST looking at that on on BRS! It's pretty affordable too. I think I'm going to order it.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was JUST looking at that on on BRS! It's pretty affordable too. I think I'm going to order it.
Just be prepared for bubbles. My tank is large enough that they dissipate pretty quickly. In a 40b you might need to do something about them.
20240409_135606.jpg
20240409_135620.jpg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the elbow on several skimmers including my current my IceKap K3-250...a little bigger then the 1.5, but still works.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the bubbles inside the unit? I get those tiny bubbles in my tank now sometimes. I just used a baster and blew them off a frag rack about 20 minutes ago. I didn’t know they were a “thing”. I’ll have to look them up and the elbow deal.

I bought that skimmer at BRS open box for $120.00. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Just to clarify - does a skimmer take the place of the Tidal 110? I have a Hygger canister also. I can return the Tidal 110 because I just got it from Amazon yesterday. I have 2 good wave makers too. I get stuff “free” on the Amazon Vine program to review and I always choose the fish stuff.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the bubbles inside the unit? I get those tiny bubbles in my tank now sometimes. I just used a baster and blew them off a frag rack about 20 minutes ago. I didn’t know they were a “thing”. I’ll have to look them up and the elbow deal.

I bought that skimmer at BRS open box for $120.00. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Just to clarify - does a skimmer take the place of the Tidal 110? I have a Hygger canister also. I can return the Tidal 110 because I just got it from Amazon yesterday. I have 2 good wave makers too. I get stuff “free” on the Amazon Vine program to review and I always choose the fish stuff.

The tidal is more for mechanical filtration (pulling large chunks of crud) and running media like carbon. If choosing only 1 I would pick skimmer but both are even better.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. That’s why I picked the Tidal because you can shove so much in there. Thanks for your advice!

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more bit of advice - the AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer is arriving tomorrow, I received the Tidal 110 yesterday - I guess I’ll use it mainly for skimming, carbon pouches and maybe filter floss. I’ll have 2 wavemakers on the two ends of the tank.

Is this overkill? Before I open the box for the tidal should I downgrade to the Tidal 75? I thought I read that you need more oomph for saltwater tanks but I can’t find that info now.

One more thing - if I get the BioGems media out of my Fluval Evo tank and use it in the Tidal will I be instantly cycled? I have Fritzyme 900 and a skull I’ve been trying to encrust I was planning to add as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back