Electro's 120 In Wall Tank

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally built this as a Freshwater tank and had it set-up and running while I finished the basement but took it down and sold everything off under the impression we were selling the house and that turned out not to be the case so I'm piecing it back together to set-up as a reef tank.

So far I have:
ASM G3 - Recirc and Gate valve mods
40 gallon Sump
50 gallon refugium
Jebao Rw-8 Wavemaker
Glass-Holes 1500gph overflow

Planning on:
Reef Radiance DM-132e or Dm-165e not sure if I need the 165 only growing LPS softie and a few SPS up top.
Fluval SP4 return pump split off to the tank and to the refugium
Small pump for Skimmer or split return into 3 to feed skimmer
Apex Controller

Built the stand and where it goes

Old Freshwater set-up

New plans, sump and fuge tanks, I was going to have the Sump and refugium both on the stand away from the tank, but decided to put the sump under the tank for better drainage the pump up and over to the fuge.

Old Design

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a little progress yesterday and today. Built the sump shelf under the stand, put the baffles in for bubble trap, and got the skimmer all settled into it's new home.

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more progress made, got my pump and the new tank in, painted the back and side of the tank, and got everything test fit, hopefully this weekend I can get everything glued and ready for water testing.

Sorry, tanks dirty from drilling and my kids didn't clean up the family room, I need to get lights on the inside of the tank, I really like the color first time I didn't do black, it's "Ultramarine blue" according to the bottle, a deep dark blue.

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress pics

Tanks fully plumbed and filled now. Getting the salinity right as I type. I have decided I'm going to move everything from my 37 into the 120 and take down the 37. It's just so easy to do maintenance on the 120 as it's right next to utility sink and there is a floor drain directly beneath it. So I'll be moving the rocks and few fish over to the 120 this week.

I had to install a bypass off the return pump to let some of the flow back into the sump. This pumps a beast and virtually silent, highly recommended if you need a new in sump pump. The pump is rated for around 1855gph with no head, my return is split into 2 nozzles to the tank, the skimmer, and the refugium. I have a 1500gph drain and the pump was over powering the drains.

Refugium before filled, I moved one of the heaters into it because they are so long, and I added a filter sock to the drains on the sump, I only had enough room for 1 heater in the sump.

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transfered everything from my 37 over to the 120 the other day. Decided not to run both tanks. Anyways the first inhabitants were the few snails and crabs I had along with the Ocellaris, Watchman, and Tiger shrimp.

Also stopped by the LFS today and picked up a Firefish, 3 Blue/Green Chromis, a mate for my Ocellaris, and a cleaner shrimp. I'll get some photos of them once they settle in. I need to borrow my wifes camera for a while instead of using my iPhone.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! :thumb:

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a photo shoot with the new iPhone the other day, It's not bad but I still need to get my wife to take some pictures with her camera. Currently it has a current orbit marine LED strip and a Current 2 56W PC actinic light on it until I can get my LEDs in. I did get the Apex in and up and running :rockon: it's awesome, never had a controller before, I'm in love with it. Gonna set up a IP camera and then I can watch my tank all day at work, lol.

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress

Got some more accomplished since my last update. Mostly equipment and finishing touches. Got the Apex installed, LSM with moonlights, my Reef Radiance Lights, Avast ATO and probe holders, Set up the ATO reservoir and water change reservoir, also plumbed the RODI in with valves to fill either the ATO or water change tanks. Cleaned up the wires a bit and trimmed the front of the tank, still needs painted but it's up.

Also picked up a McCoskers Wrasse and what the fish store called a yellow tail blenny but I believe is actually called a fire tail blenny.

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I have done anything with the tank or posted here but I had a busy weekend working on the tank.

So I wasn't happy with the Reef Radiance Lights. I've been messing with them since I set up the tank and I decided I wanted to go back to what I know and that's T5s.

Built a custom mount for a 4 bulb retro. I left space enough to add 2 more bulbs if I want to later but for now just 4, I still don't have any coral, I'm waiting for my tank to mature and the nuisance algae to die down and the coralline to start going. One reason I don't like the reef radiance lights, I have no coralline in my display but I do in the refugium under 5000K Par 38 LED bulbs.

Anyways the lights are 2 x ATI Blue+, 1 x Aqaublue special, and 1 x purple+. Driven by 2 Advance Centium Program start ballasts. Used 2 piece German waterproof end caps and individual parabolic reflectors.

I'm using furniture pegs in the holes drilled in the joists as a way to raise the light for coral acclimation and maintenance.

It's pretty blue in the picture but in reality it's not quite this blue I'd say like a 12-14K color in reality.

Lights lowered all the way down

Also added a Algae Turf Scrubber to the refugium.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a FTS? :)

OP
OP
E

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really gross at the moment, but ok. I'm trying to get the algae under control, got film and hair problems, just added a reef cleaners pack and the algae scrubber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back