New 83 Gallon Build

FishingMachine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first build thread for my new 83 gallon mixed reef tank that will replace my ~1.5 year old 36 gallon bow front.

It will be a slow build, as I don’t want to transfer everything over until after some travel in early-June, but I’ll document everything here. Many thanks to @VintageReefer who posted the great deal on this tank here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...of-2024-whose-looking-for-a-new-tank.1037349/

The tank and stand was built by Current-USA purportedly as part of a first run for their own line of aquariums which they cancelled when they were bought out recently.

The tank is:

83 gallons rimless low iron glass
- 48x20x20
- Ghost overflow
- Sump and overflow are setup with herbie drain
- 26 gallon custom glass sump
- 9 gallon custom acrylic gravity ato with float
- custom made cabinet from marine grade plywood covered in faux wood grain laminate

Here is what I am planning so far:
~35# of existing rock from the tank this is replacing and another ~#30-50 of live rock from LFS (they have some great shapes/sizes at a reasonable cost)

60# Alive Special Grade Sand
2-200W Eheim heaters connected to an Inkbird
Jaebo SLW-20 wavemaker (from old tank)
Current-USA e-flux LOOP 1900 GPH return pump
VCA random flow nozzle
Reef Factory Smart Roller S
Simplicity 120 DC Skimmer
2-Noo-Psyche K7 III pro lights

The sump comes setup with 3 filter socks and a large skimmer compartment. I plan to do away with the socks and modify the baffles so that I can use the Smart Roller S and will make room to incorporate a refugium down the road.

Here is a picture of the tank and stand from the vendor:
tank1.jpeg

4/4/24
The tank and stand showed up today!

….and the tank promptly broke after the pallet tipped over when the pallet jack hit the end of the driveway at a funny angle (driver’s fault). Womp Womp!! Everything was packaged up well, but with so much force landing mostly on the overflow box it broke the back panel of glass. Sump and stand were totally fine. Vendor is sending out a new tank and waiting to hear back on what to do with the broken one (vendor working with shipper insurance).

broken tank.jpg

4/10/2024
A replacement tank arrived today! VERY VERY well packaged up lol. It took me a few minutes to get it open to inspect the tank!

new tank.jpg

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say congratulations! But. This isn’t a good start. They will take care of you though and get it replaced. This could be a good thing. Get that bad luck out for the way before the tank gets life in it ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back