Thunder tank

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just picked up my new 75g tank that will be my first saltwater endeavor. Lfs was running a sale i couldn't pass up. While I was there I bought a 30 that I'll build into my sump. The tank is not drilled so I plan on either drilling it or using a hob overflow. Going to start building my stand tomorrow. Will get glass from glass shop this week and get sump put together. I'll post some pics as things progress. I do need some suggestions though. Is drilling the tank the best way to go or is a hob overflow as good? Also, if I drill it I was thinking of going the bean animal way. Is that a good thing to do or is there a better type? Going to try and take my time with this build and get it as right as I can. I am sure there will be things I wish I had done different later I would just like to not have those be something major. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Maybe I can keep from having a bunch of unnecessary headaches.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need some suggestions though. Is drilling the tank the best way to go or is a hob overflow as good?

IMO and drilled tank is best, less issues with restarting and just better peace of mind.

Also, if I drill it I was thinking of going the bean animal way. Is that a good thing to do or is there a better type?

Bean is a great setup, I learned the hard way when a single durso overflowed on my 150g, because a snail got in the stand pipe, if that had been a bean it never would have happened or it would have at least been able to run into the emergency over-flow pipe.

Maybe I can keep from having a bunch of unnecessary headaches.

If you find the formula to this one share it with the rest of use... lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand started

Got my stand framed today now i just need to decide how i am going to skin it. I made it 24"deep even though my tank is only 18 for 3 reasons. First one is I can put the stand against the wall and have my overflow go straight down through the top after I drill my tank. Second is if I decide to upgrade down the road I can go to a 48x24 footprint and if I want to keep this stand I can. Third is I bet I won't hate having the extra 6"depth underneath. Especially since my sump is 36x13x16. I also made it 36" tall to give myself a little more room underneath plus, I don't want to stoop to look and admire my little world. I think I am going to take out the bottom middle pieces. If I do I will get some rubber roofing or something to seal that area and make a little pan out of it to catch spills and splashes. Found a ghost overflow on ebay and think o might order it and drill my tank using that style. It's between that, glass-holes overflow kit, or just make my own bean animal style with siliconed overflow box on inside. Decisions decisions.

Attachments

• 20141130_135127.jpg
    20141130_135127.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 213

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run herbie bean is fine. Drilling is simple. It takes longer but to make sure you don't brake the tank let the weight of the drill do the work you only have 1 shot. You can get the bits from brs for $15. Glass holes sells a whole kit also.

OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure I can drill it. I am pretty handy at things. I did talk to a local glass shop and they said they would drill it for $10 a hole. If I go glass-holes that's only $30 and $40 if I do bean. Might just let them deal with it. Of course that's only 1 return and I may go with 2. Don't know if I really need 2 on a 75 though. I am still up in the air on the style. I want it to work and not be crazy loud. Don't want to have to turn the tv up to drown it out. Of course I don't know what other people's loud is. All of the options I am thinking of seem to work and people that have them like them so makes it a little tougher. All I have to go off of is you tube so hard to tell what it will be in person.

OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tanks at wet pets in Norman. Real nice people that have spent allot of time answering my silly questions. Nice clean place. I have spent some time at The Reef Shop in okc. They are also real nice and helpful.

OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Making a little headway. Got the sump together and overflow came in. Going to finish skinning the stand and drill tank for overflow and return today or tomorrow. Pump, skimmer, and rest of rock should come in this week. Picking up leds from a lfs this week. If everything comes in I could possibly start filling this up next weekend. Wife decided the place we arranged for tank to go was a great spot to set up Christmas tree so I have to wait until after Thursday anyway.

Attachments

• 2014-12-21 08.00.51.jpg
    2014-12-21 08.00.51.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 2014-12-21 08.01.34.jpg
    2014-12-21 08.01.34.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20141221_121055.jpg
    20141221_121055.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 165

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, was the over-flow box something you built?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back