10g Sump on 54g corner?

BarneyPSU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning out how I am going to convert my 54 gal corner tank over to a reef tank. I have had successful reef tanks in the past, but that was about 12yrs ago. The main thing I am trying to decide is if I should drill the tank and add a 10 gal sump. I don’t think I want to use a HOB overflow box. Is there enough benefit to adding a 10 gal sump or should I just stick to a good HOB skimmer? The size of the corner stand doesn’t look like it will fit a sump bigger than a standard 10 gal tank. Any suggestions on equipment for either route is greatly appreciated.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning out how I am going to convert my 54 gal corner tank over to a reef tank. I have had successful reef tanks in the past, but that was about 12yrs ago. The main thing I am trying to decide is if I should drill the tank and add a 10 gal sump. I don’t think I want to use a HOB overflow box. Is there enough benefit to adding a 10 gal sump or should I just stick to a good HOB skimmer? The size of the corner stand doesn’t look like it will fit a sump bigger than a standard 10 gal tank. Any suggestions on equipment for either route is greatly appreciated.
You could look into being a bit fancy and have a triangular sump made out of glass locally. I had a custom glass sump made recently and the price was extremely reasonable! :) Be a little creative with your dividers to optimize the size of sump you can add.

For me, either way the benefit of having a sump over HOB equipment is obvious; if nothing but from a visual stand point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back