Zippy has a 120

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been on this site for a while, mostly watching. Thought I would post some shots of my 120 bare bottom system with a 29 high for reef octopus skimmer and sand/macro algae attached to a 40 breeder with sand and macro algae, then back to display.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

System has been up since February of 2014. Dosing 2 part at 185 ml per day. A lot of that is taken by the halimeda algae I grow. I do about 45 gal water changes in 15 gal amounts 3 times a week. Use IO salt and led lighting IT2040 4 units at 120 watts. Blue max at 85% 4 hours, white color at 55%. Sit 20 inches above water and temp,is at 76-77. Had a phos spike 3mos ago and still recovering color. I care less about named corals and more about what does well in my system. I even like so called ugly ones cause in gardening when placed against another they help each other pop out and look better.

Cheers,
Pete

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fantastic Pete! I agree on the named stuff, it doesn't really matter if it looks good.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 70 percent of my corals are wild corals and some look better then the names stuff /-) tank looks amazing dude

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my sump tanks now....not as clean but good with macro.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here is my lighting, 4 IT2040 units
image.jpg

The way the tank works is water drains from the corner overflow in the DT, it flows down through the pipe in the upper left corner and through the wall.
image.jpg

It then dumps into the 29 high where a 200 micron sock filters chunks and then meets my skimmer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it passes through the skimmer section it passively flows through a pipe in the far left corner and gravity dumps into the 40 breeder below the DT. A return pump in the far corner sends water back to the DT. Doing it this way allows my system to be after rock work 158gal. The main DT sits on 2x6 floor joist parallel to length of tank. I was concerned with weight and made two knee walls in the below crawl space at either end. This way each side rests on a load bearing wall. The slab below is 5 inches atop gravel should be fine.
image.jpg
The rock work is macro rocks with double cut sides so I could dry stack a step scape for maximum flat surface to grow coral. Once it's covered you never notice rock work.IMHO
image.jpg

Here we are today 11 months later
image.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great!! Glad to see you posting over here!! :)

dfm34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done bare bottom before. I am contemplating for my build but never did I always had sand do you find any issues with bb??

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done bare bottom before. I am contemplating for my build but never did I always had sand do you find any issues with bb??

I had a 55 before with sand and had issues of it getting blown around. The bottom has a piece of starboard to protect the glass from the rocks and allows me to scrape trim corals encrusting on the floor. The system still has sand in the 29 gal and 40 gal sump. Overall I love the starboard bottom, coraline encrusts and blends in with the rocks.

dfm34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I will look into the starboard. Good luck with the build I will follow along. Dan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back