kresdfw's DSA 175g Build Thread

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few years of research (I was holding until after the move to a new state), I finally took the plunge and started my reef tank. Being from Dallas, I really liked the DSA tanks so when I got to Phoenix, it was great to see stock carried locally.

After trying to decide on the 175g (72Lx27Wx21H) or the 225 (72Lx27Wx27H), I decided on the 175g since it would be easier to reach the bottom of the tank. My next challenge was deciding on if I should build the stand myself or purchase DSA's stand. There were advantages to both, but since I wanted to have something very customizable, I decided to do it myself. So, off to google sketchup I go.

These are the sketches I decided to go with:
Stand Skin.jpg
WS Stand Structure 1.jpg
WS Stand Structure2.jpg

I haven't decided on what to do with the canopy or lighting, so I figured I would hold off and research more while the build was in progress. I placed the order for the tank and basically waited for the tank to arrive to do final measurements.

While the tank is arriving, I decided to finish off my list of supplies:
5-Stage RODI
Lighting - Leaning towards 3x Kessils with T5's (Updated: changed to 3x ATI Hydra 26's and 4x T5 lamps with 2x blue+ and 2x coral+)
Sump - Trigger Systems Tide48
Skimmer - JNS ConeS CO3
Return Pumps - Dual Jecod/Jebao DCT6000's (one for each return line)
Wavemakers - 2x RW-15's
Heaters - 2x 250W Eheim Jager
Salt - Red Sea Coral Pro
Refractometer
Sand - 5x 40lb bags of CaribSea Special Grade Reef
Rock - 100lbs of Pukani & 100lbs of Fiji (will decide on what gets used after aquascaping).
Controller - Apex with Lab Grade Probe and extra eb8 and breakout box
Test Kits - API, Salifert, and Hanna Checkers
Lots of other stuff, but I figured for time sake not to get that granular.

Tank arrived:
20141210_143758.jpg

Let me preface, I actually had to learn woodworking to do this project. I practiced building a dining table, 2 beds with headboards, shelves, a console table and a few frames. I learned a good bit before I was comfortable enough to try the build myself. With the tank in the garage, I did the final measurements and everything looked good. I went to the hardware store and had them deliver the wood and spent the weekend squaring the lumber through the planar and table saw before assembling.

Stand build progress:
20141218_211348_zpsiqy0bsme.jpg

20141227_133207_zpsm2ionp7s.jpg

20141227_134909_zpsumu07u3p.jpg
20141229_205207_zpsen8e5utm.jpg
20150110_142906_zpsbsw6g33g.jpg
20150114_085611_zpshg6cpzic.jpg
stand_ftdoor_zpshpjvtara.jpg
stand_back_zps86kqz6ge.jpg

To help vent moisture, I ordered a fan and installed it on the left side.
20150301_223602_zpscbnujsi9.jpg

With the stand basically finished, I took the opportunity to build a new console for the tv to match my tank stand.
20150205_084827_zps4jwp9abm.jpg

I then knocked out a few QT stands (one for me and one for a friend).
20150224_230343_zpskywet8hv.jpg

20150219_085359_zpsrgdf8nv8.jpg

I decided to house the apex and electrical equipment in a seperate box outside of the stand. So I build a box that would mount on the wall to the right of the tank and ordered extension cords for all the outlets. I decided to make a recessed box in the wood for the Apex display.
20150224_225916_zpsvikt7qn7.jpg

I finally made a decision on what to do for lighting. I opted for 3x AI Hydra 26's and 4x T5 lights. This should give me enough spread over the tank, and I'll design a canopy where I can install more t5 bulbs if needed. AI sale, so I'm going to grab the 26's.

Goodies arrived! Apex with lab grade probe, an extra eb8 power bar, and 3x 26's.
20150227_143301_zpsewxg668h.jpg

Now to test and see if the apex display fits my recessed spot on the electrical box. Lucky for me, it fits.
20150301_103038_zpsrvzt2xjw.jpg

Trigger Systems Tide48 sump arrived (after a little over a month) - with a hole in it! I'm very surprised that the delivery company tried to pass this off. The hole was a vollyball size and it looked like they drove a forklift into it. Unfortunately for the LFS that I talked into getting signed up to order this sump had customers in the show and signed for it after a quick inspection.
20150206_165306_zpsvb8o4tlw.jpg

The LFS went ahead and placed an order for another sump. The distributor pushed it back to the LFS to fight the shipping claim from the first unit, which has now turned into a legal situation. I will say that through all of this, Trigger Systems was great to work with and helpful in everyway.

After a few weeks, the replacement sump arrived and I was able to put it in the stand.
20150227_143410_zpsrjz0ofb5.jpg

20150301_222913_zpsfed4u6b5.jpg

Alright, so now to get serious about the canopy design. If I didn't do the t5 supplemental lighting, I would have just used AI's lighting racks. I know I wanted to push the hydra 26's about 11-12" from the water line, so I would need a floating canopy to do this. I have a vaulted ceiling in the living room so I was unsure if I'd be able to have it all suspended. I need to have an electrician come out to drop a couple of circuits and lines just for the tank. Since he'll be in the attic, I'll see if he runs into any trouble with it.

---------

Okay, electrican came and dropped the dedicated lines. I decided to go up into the attic when he left to look at installing cross boards for the hanging canopy. This was a nogo. I saw a large cobweb and my fear of spiders had me climbing down from the attic to go draft something else.

Attachments

• 20141218_211348.jpg
    20141218_211348.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 467
OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New draft finished for canopy. For support I'll put a 2x6 board on the wall for about 70 inches and I should hit 4 studs for support. This will support the bulk of the weight and Hunter (evolved) recommended I add cables to the front to keep it from sagging.
This is what I came up with:
XAgf07i-1CLa7G7tnTsNswVvmDFDA3TQmoS4s8UHMmksKYDV2NvrKOw_-kpamtMK65pmqlBVNNfyXHnXcz97vE1XTTopP8hgF3K4dhatQnVnYeVcuKzhbt7MwwBbE4Pqampspk0

Back to the garage to start building.
The back brace piece (mounted on the wall):
Ry1xFns0wlMf8UIi0vjzjdu1kjDIVpopinA7Z5Driqxx-clXohoR00LXBoIRvcdB77QUP9CJ8SCnYQNzI7H8v8bE36sSMS7K-ycveDZsJNUHOVYoWRG8k2PpSCGtJo33xyKRqdQ

And the canopy that slides into the brace piece:
fEoyJiutLmvi2RtvqOdQOZCH_qT9I9arc3hHYRL3rYa7Pu2b3h-op0fJdtVL9Y3byBABnRJ6IHKJQ0AN2eCa1ftZ4YJMAWvinS0_Atad_JsG1sIkSmyoAIlhfmHOyIRYM3Nvf8g

I was able to get the canopy mounted to the wall, shim the stand, and put down the FLOR tiles (thanks d2mini for the idea from your old cube build).
ZaMYY7F3QnzS8tXujkVxIy9bkKcEX1ms9d-9Ifxg5zCFrxpYI01Kydy4yHVHLFjxP1N55Dux33mlnyX-0CEusxz-Zgi86LyxdhHLBOuDrH-kjbUGphccp_qlSUCD9XKHhTv5kfI

I rounded up some friends and today, after 3.5 months of having the tank sit in the garage, it is finally in the house!
jJ3jS9lagbc7jQFqSUVamz_VAZRxjikEgUhN3bieiyB4uysqj3qEfLuPgJ_kTIQvhZPd0BBoqxAcAi5a5d-6Zbo-KdXKJ1YsXzlUC10iZmqARo6IKEzNbOyMKCw5OXoW6XmyrWc

After the AZ Frag/Prop Auction, I mounted the electrical box next to the tank and this is all the progress I have so far.
meZ9SNYCSXEVPIhRJtWTNVtaGluILRpyNfaaojRbkSXHk2eFGVKd5tJzlReVi2ieQ771u0F9b6-60eA-2-zN3kHMe3JPAm9NSuBUeoIPYcOk5R585vXYlH2QZhMGxFtmwPV1hW4

Over the next few days, I'll remove the canopy and install the lights. I got the miro-let 60in retro kit to handle the 4 bulbs (2 in front of the AI Hydra 26's and 2 in the back). I also need to start working on the aquascaping, but I might delay that by giving the rock a lanthanum dip first. When I'm satisfied with the aquascaping I'll proceed with the plumbing of the tank and get it filled with water to start the cycle. I'll start posting updates from this point out. Sorry for the pic heavy post, but I had a lot to catch up on.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more, great build. I especially like the idea of putting a fan in the stand to help out with heat and moisture.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...great looking build! I had the same tank before I moved. I love the dimensions of the tank. I actually custom ordered another one with the overflows on the end for a peninsula style.

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only words that I can think of ... Master Piece! Holy cow what a great build.
Thanks Birddog! It was a lot of work, but a great feeling of accomplishment to finally see a tank sitting on it.

I couldn't agree more, great build. I especially like the idea of putting a fan in the stand to help out with heat and moisture. 
Thanks Jason. In retrospect, I should have jigsawed the hole for the fan before finishing the stand. It added a bit of work as the jigsaw scratched the paint around the hole and I had to go back and repaint the panel.

Beautiful setup, great job on the stands!
Thanks c_healy!

Wow...great looking build! I had the same tank before I moved. I love the dimensions of the tank. I actually custom ordered another one with the overflows on the end for a peninsula style.
Thanks Jimbo! Honestly, I had a perfect place to go peninsula style and after seeing Eric's (Zibba) tank and how he set it up it made me want to do a peninsula even more. Unfortunately Hunter (Evolved) convinved me to do otherwise since the tank now sits away from the patio door and is in a more stable (temp wise) spot. I can't say enough about both of those guys for helping me with this build.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20150301_223602_zpscbnujsi9.jpg

Curious ... what kind of fan (manufacturer, where purchased) that you installed into the side of the cabinet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious ... what kind of fan (manufacturer, where purchased) that you installed into the side of the cabinet?

I purchased the AC Infinity 120mm AI-CFS120BA Single 120 Quiet Cabinet Fan from Amazon. The nice thing about this fan is you can swap out the fan and leave the housing as is, or you can remove the fan, paint it, and then put in another color fan (which I almost did to make it white).

Wow what a great stand. I agree with all above comments This build has some great detail!

Thanks Josh!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow stellar stand and canopy! Love this build so far!

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sunday was a productive day in the garage. Bulk trash pickup is today, so I was able to get the pallets and a lot of extra wood from the projects out of the garage.

As I mentioned before, I purchased 100lbs of figi and 100lbs of pukani rock and I wanted to see which I liked working with the most. I worked with the layouts in the garage, then cut up some eggcrate for it to sit on. I removed the top white trim from the tank and placed it all in.

I'll let it sit this way for a few days to see if I still like it, but this is the aquascape I came up with.
20150323_084416_zpsoetfw8d2.jpg

This week I'll get the sand rinsed and work on plumbing the tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great place to start a build thread! :tongue:

I like the scape, but I would take some time to trim up the eggcrate closer to the rock footprint.

Did you sit in on the Fellman/Levenson aquascaping workshop at the Dallas MACNA? (I don't recall if I already asked you that)

OP
OP
kresDFW

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great place to start a build thread! :tongue:

I like the scape, but I would take some time to trim up the eggcrate closer to the rock footprint.

Did you sit in on the Fellman/Levenson aquascaping workshop at the Dallas MACNA? (I don't recall if I already asked you that)
Thanks Hunter, I'll go back and trim some of the eggcrate back. I left it a little oversized in case I rearranged things again. The look in the tank isn't an exact match to what I setup in the garage.

When I joined DFWMAS, it was right before Dallas MACNA. I was enamored by so much info that I was on overload. I mostly just cruised through the exhibition hall. If I would have known how big of a deal MACNA was back then, I would have been front and center at as many presentations as possible!

On another topic, there are three people that I'd like to thank for personally taking time for me leading up to this build. Of course you Hunter, Eric (Zibba), and Marc Levenson. The community member's posts on REEF2REEF and DFWMAS also provided a wealth of knowledge.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back