Salt Storage

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across a bag of Reef Crystals today that I have not touched in a few months. It has been sitting in a cabinet and it seems it has turned into one giant clump. I assume humidity is the cause due to where it was stored. So I started wondering of the best way to store salt. I buy the 200 gallon boxes of Reef Crystals and hate dealing with the bags. Is it fine go just dump them all in a bucket and toss a lid on? I assume it would be since a lot of them come in buckets, but just want to be sure. I am using white food safe buckets that have been rinsed out with RODI and dried.

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I have been meaning to ask this and I always forgot. I have a bucket of salt that turned into a clump so I'm not sure that is the answer either.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do. Just dump the bags into and old salt bucket with the sealable lid

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently rediscovered Coralife salt... they put "zip lock" sealers at the top of their salt bags... I wish everyone did!

Brandon

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure - great question

Good question. I have been meaning to ask this and I always forgot. I have a bucket of salt that turned into a clump so I'm not sure that is the answer either.

I store my salt in my boiler room where I also produce my RODI water. it clumps int he bucket and I use a screwdriver to break it up. I have never had a problem with the tank after making a batch of saltwater and I usually test Alk, Calcium and Magnesium with each batch. Never been a problem for me so far but I am curious to know if I am just lucky.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also buy the RC 200 gallon boxes, when I open a bag I dump it in one of those dog food storage containers you can get a Walmart, it's well sealed and I never have a problem with clumping. And the hinged lid is a lot easier than popping off a 5 gallon bucket lid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across a bag of Reef Crystals today that I have not touched in a few months. It has been sitting in a cabinet and it seems it has turned into one giant clump. I assume humidity is the cause due to where it was stored. So I started wondering of the best way to store salt. I buy the 200 gallon boxes of Reef Crystals and hate dealing with the bags. Is it fine go just dump them all in a bucket and toss a lid on? I assume it would be since a lot of them come in buckets, but just want to be sure. I am using white food safe buckets that have been rinsed out with RODI and dried.

In terms of using the old salt, just dissolve it up at usual, then check the alkalinity. If the alkalintiy ios not too low for your preference, the salt is good to go. :)

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of using the old salt, just dissolve it up at usual, then check the alkalinity. If the alkalintiy ios not too low for your preference, the salt is good to go. :)
Exaclty. I moved around for the last five years ..hoping to one day set up another tank. I carried buckets of unused salt around with me hoping to use it someday. AFter all.. how can salt go bad?
Well.. as many know it can go bad. If it clumps/hardens it's basically turning in to limestone. When I started my tank last year I tried the old salt and it had an alk of "1".
You could probably bring it back to life with a bunch of calcium and alk but at that point might as well just get a new bucket. Also I had some precipitate that would not dissolve so I had white flakes for a while in my tank.
A couple uses for that old salt:
Homemade weed killer- Some salt,soap vinegar and water. Put in sprayer and I use it .. works great. Gotta soak the ground a little but works better than round up.
Driveway salt for winter- May damage your concrete.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone happens to use Brightwell salt, it doesnt go bad. I talked to the rep and no matter where you store it hot or cold and even for years its still good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back