60 Breeder No Rush Build

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, after about a 6 year hiatus from the hobby I am about ready to jump back in. I have taken a great deal of time gathering supplies for this build (bought the first piece in July of 2021) and waited to find good deals on everything I wanted since I purchased everything new. It's also gone through several changes since I started, initially bought an Aqueon 40 breeder but changed it out for a 60 breeder 6 months later. I am happy to report that I am near the phase where things will be interesting enough to document.

In the past I have kept a JBJ 30g AIO, a JBJ AIO frag tank, and a Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless. I left the hobby after my wife and I started having kids, sold our house, designed and built a new house, and now settled down enough that I have time and can enjoy the hobby.

Goal for the tank will be a primarily softy/zoa/gorgonian tank. May have a few LPS, but SPS doesn't interest me. I prefer the slow and movement of a soft coral tank.

I will be documenting everything I can for this build, which will also include a full parts list of everything I purchased with the base price and the sale price I purchased at to give new reefers an idea of what a build costs if buying all new.

I look forward to sharing my progress and exchanging ideas with you all! Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tank I opted for the Aqueon 60 gallon breeder. Dimensions are 48" L x 18" W x 18" H. As stated above, I originally purchased a 40 breeder but the moment the 60 breeder was announced I knew those dimensions would suit me better and allow for more aquascaping opportunities. I'm a sucker for a long shallow tank.

Quality of silicone work is what you can expect for a sub $150 tank (on sale). Not terrible, but there are some sloppy areas. I moved the worst to the back to help hide them.

More to come tomorrow.

download.jpg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the stand I went the DIY route. I have built a number of stands over the years and have always utilized the Rocketengineer design. Since I had a 4ft tank and didn't want a center brace, I utilized 2x6 for the top frame and 2x4 for the lower frame. The uprights for support are all 2x4. Framing was all done with a mix of 3" screws, pocket holes, and wood glue. Skinned the sides, front, and back in thin plywood. Bottom of the sump area and the top are thicker plywood, 1/2" if I recall correctly. Built a side access cabinet into the stand where I will house all the electronics and controllers. 6 adjustable heavy duty self leveling metal feet were attached under the stand to accommodate some inconsistencies in the floor. Stand was finished in early October 2022. Put any more work on the backburner since deer season had started here.

IMG_7189.jpg
IMG_7190.jpg
IMG_7538.jpg
IMG_7528.jpg
IMG_7527.jpg
IMG_7588.jpg
IMG_7590.jpg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In late October 2022
IMG_7625.jpg
IMG_7626.jpg
I opted for a 20" Exotic Marine Systems overflow for my build. This was my first time drilling my own tank, nerve racking but it actually went smooth. I ordered a diamond bit from BRS and just went super slow on the drilling. Overflow has 3 1" drain lines so I will be plumbing this bean animal style.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freakin awesome! I’m building a tank right now too. But it’s not as nice as yours. I can’t wait to see it salty.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freakin awesome! I’m building a tank right now too. But it’s not as nice as yours. I can’t wait to see it salty.
haha thank you. I checked out an absurd amount of builds to come up with what I wanted. My wife and kids are tired of seeing an empty tank sitting in the living room.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked today on installing my RODI unit. I purchased a BRS 5 stage premium plus 75 gpd unit. When we built our house a few years ago I made sure we had an utility sink installed with an enclosed cabinet in the laundry room in case I ever got back into the hobby (I used totally different selling points when discussing it with my wife). Used the T adapter on the cold water line to supply water to the unit, ensured a shutoff valve was put in place to cut off flow to the unit. Used a saddle valve for the waste water line, drilled straight into the drain pipe. Install was super easy, except I discovered one of the elbows on my unit was missing so I have to get a replacement before I can really test it. Will contact BRS in the morning to see which piece I need.
IMG_8378.jpeg
IMG_8379.jpeg
IMG_8380.jpeg
IMG_8381.jpeg
IMG_8383.jpeg
IMG_8384.jpeg
IMG_8385.jpeg
IMG_8386.jpeg
IMG_8382.jpeg

Back