Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

justgotwet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but here goes My question is I got a led kit for my 29g bio cube , I installed it and did not say how to hook up the fans that are already in the hood. Will I need a separate power source for them.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert I don't like to let all the secrets out about reverse UG filters or more importantly, blackworms. If everyone knew, what would people write about because there would be no more disease threads, so don't tell anyone.

True, and that would be a problem, suddenly no more issues and no more problems and what would people then post about ... gee maybe how well their tanks are actually doing, switching to suddenly all positive messages ... now that would be nice

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but here goes My question is I got a led kit for my 29g bio cube , I installed it and did not say how to hook up the fans that are already in the hood. Will I need a separate power source for them.

Well not knowing what light you have I cannot tell you .. what brand did you get and did the instructions not say? Also when you plug the lights in, do the fans start or not .. are they built into the hood and are there two plugs maybe ? Give me some more details and I will try to help some more ... tks

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert I don't like to let all the secrets out about reverse UG filters or more importantly, blackworms. If everyone knew, what would people write about because there would be no more disease threads, so don't tell anyone.

Blackworms .... what on earth is that Paul :-o I have seen red ones but you actually have Black ones, like real black :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS Albert said, all fixtures are different. Your fan may be 12 volts DC and you may have 12 volts DC in that fixture someplace like on the dimming circuit. If you don't, you will need a 12 volt DC power supply. But we can't tell from here.
Blackworms .... what on earth is that Paul :-o I have seen red ones but you actually have Black ones, like real black :)
The worms are actually brown, but don't tell anyone
Wormkeeper008.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS Albert said, all fixtures are different. Your fan may be 12 volts DC and you may have 12 volts DC in that fixture someplace like on the dimming circuit. If you don't, you will need a 12 volt DC power supply. But we can't tell from here. The worms are actually brown, but don't tell anyone
Wormkeeper008.jpg

My own Worm Keeper called the " Paul-O-Special-Keeper " is nearly complete. Adding the tray today with the brackets and some more baffles in it and setting up the carbon part ... sometime this afternoon when I take a break from working on shipping Books and getting them ready to go to the Post Office.

I am looking forward to getting the Keeper going so I can get the worms out of the Fridge ... I am sure my wife will like THAT ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now been feeding real California Blackworms for a while (Lumbriculus variegatus) and am starting to see the difference feeding live foods and frozen clam meat and mussel meat (bought live and frozen and the feeding slivers of it shaven off the frozen half shell of the clam or mussel) are bringing about. Whereas I have been using commercial and self-made foods for a long time, the use of Blackworms and the Little Neck Clams and Mussel meat has raised the quality and nutritional value of what I have been feeding yet another few steps. Fish are showing a better color, corals can be spot fed with it and show feeding mode very quickly, and overall everything in the tank just looks that much more healthy. I highly recommend the Blackworms and am setting up a worm keeper so I can keep larger amounts of them alive. I will post a picture of the Worm Keeper, based on the rendering of one by Paul B, also a member of this forum, once it is fully set up as right now it is cycling.

Rendering of what the Worm Keeper Look like (from Paul B):

wormkeeper2.jpg

Using a 5 gallon tank underneath and eggcrate and a powerhead, all as shown ... Tank is cycling and I will more than likely put up the Tray and Carbon container sometime today. Will keep you posted with the real pictures once it is set up.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ARE Little Neck Clams Really ?
Little neck clams, cherry stone clams and chowder clams are all the same kind of quahog clam only different sizes. They all look like this but in different sizes. The big one in the middle is a chowder clam, But I like to call them, dinner
IMG_1578.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now been feeding real California Blackworms for a while (Lumbriculus variegatus) and am starting to see the difference feeding live foods and frozen clam meat and mussel meat (bought live and frozen and the feeding slivers of it shaven off the frozen half shell of the clam or mussel) are bringing about
Feeding these foods gets fish so healthy you have to step on them to kill them, but don't

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding these foods gets fish so healthy you have to step on them to kill them, but don't

Indeed that may not be a good idea but feeding the Clams or Mussels or the California Blackworms definitely is as Paul as stated many a time and the results he gets by doing so are the proof. His fish are so healthy they could be instructors at at Fitness Club :-o well not quite but just about !

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course we are also waiting on the White Worm feeding and breeding results Paul and from what I read elsewhere they are gobbling food down faster than you can provide it ...That are some greedy worms !

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding the white worms oatmeal, cheerios and Matzos. I am not sure if any of my worms are Jewish but they all eat matzos. In a few days I am going to try to soak the matzo's in fish oil to see if they will eat that. It is always my plan to feed everything I can with fish oil. It is another sneaky way to get the oil into my fish.
I am not Jewish but last week during Passover, the supermarket gave away cases of them, so I have enough to last a lifetime. I like them, but the worms like them better.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding the white worms oatmeal, cheerios and Matzos. I am not sure if any of my worms are Jewish but they all eat matzos. In a few days I am going to try to soak the matzo's in fish oil to see if they will eat that. It is always my plan to feed everything I can with fish oil. It is another sneaky way to get the oil into my fish.
I am not Jewish but last week during Passover, the supermarket gave away cases of them, so I have enough to last a lifetime. I like them, but the worms like them better.

Yes it seems that based on what you have found out they eat just about anything you feed them ... have you tried feeding them Blackworms yet :)

And of course the fish oil is a ++ as you have found out and posted many times. Thanks Paul

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back