Kords 3.4gal build

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loved the clean look of the Zero Edge tanks, so I decided I was going to give it a shot of building one since they do not sell the pico size tank I would love to have.
I wanted a tank that I could put in my home office without taking a lot of room up.

So here is the tanks actual size
20150228_113203_zpskbwe0njz.jpg

I did route the edges and sand them down starting with 80 grit paper all the way up to 3,000 grit paper. I am actually surprised how see through the acrylic got after I was finished.

Next came the collection tray for the tank to sit in. Since it is such a small tank, I made the tray a little bigger then needed keeping the edges further away from the tank for better viewing. I measured out where I wanted the holes, placed the tank where it needed to be and used painters tape to mark it all off for easier alignment. I also placed a small trim of caulk along the bottom of the tank so water would not leak under it and into the stand once it is built.

20150228_201213.jpg

Next I was onto building a sump for this tank.. I knew that there was going to be a lot of water flow through it, and I also wanted to have a sump fugue at the same time. It is hard to see what all I did here so I will give you a couple of pictures.
The first picture is the sump. I basically built it around my skimmer..lol (and not sure why this picture came out sideways)

20150301_231202.jpg

Basically The water comes into a box in the back, goes to the skimmer where I have the return of the skimmer dropping onto a piece of acrylic to stop getting too many bubbles from the skimmer before it goes to the bubble trap. It will go into the fugue section where I will have chato and a 2 inch sand/coral bed with some live rock, and then through the egg crate and back to the tank. (If you can not picture it by looking at it, here is a diagram.. just follow the A,B,C's :) )
Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 10.02.54 AM.jpg

That is where I am so far in this build, I will be starting the stand within the next week or so.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so nice I am partial to the smaller builds and thats maximizing space perfectly

Excellent fab work up for the tank

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope to have the cabinet built by next weekend or the following. I think it is going to work out nicely only taking up a 2'x2' section of the room.
I can not wait to see how the corals do in this thing.. I have always had small tanks, but this is pushing the lower limits for me.. LOL

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is awesome! Any updates?

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add a tank for the ATO.. so I fabricated one, granted I am working with a limited space. I built the tank 22"h x 15"l x 3.5" w.... if your keeping track... it hold more water then my main display will.. LOL
Here is the inside of the stand with all the stuff in place.. ATO tank on the far left, and the sump everywhere else..LOL
20150322_212347_resized_zpsz5mmxwqu.jpg

I built the hood/ canopy for the light as well, did some etching of of an angelfish and still have to stain it.
I should have this tank up and flowing water in a couple of week at the most.

here it is just sitting waiting to be filled and have the ATO pump show up in the mail.

20150316_161329_resized.jpg

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! :)

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super cool! Can't wait to see it running and stocked!
running will not be a long wait..LOL stocked on the other hand will have to wait till I work out all the bugs with the system... I'm know for a fact that there will be a few things that I might need to change before it is a smooth running beast. This is my first overflow tank.. I'm looking forward to this going for many years if I can keep it going that long without issues.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome looking setup! I'm tempted to try something that small myself now after seeing what you've done so far. Thanks for the Mtn. Dew can in the first pic too. It really helps give an idea of scale.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome looking setup! I'm tempted to try something that small myself now after seeing what you've done so far. Thanks for the Mtn. Dew can in the first pic too. It really helps give an idea of scale.

Thanks.. Yah.. that can really puts the build into a "tiny" category for sure.. LOL
If you have any question.. feel free to ask, I'm happy to help out where I can with builds!

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on testing the tank I found out that I do not get the flow I need.. I have to either raise the sump for less head pressure or get a bigger pump.

I am currently testing the flow with a mag drive 7. Thinking I will have to go with a mag drive 9.5 for the right amount of flow.
Who would have thought an overflow tank this small will call for over 500 gal an hour..lol

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back