Office Aquaculture Project

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Concept:

I have been toying with the idea of having a nano reef for my office. I had kicked the thoughts around and wasn't sure where I wanted this to go until I recently acquired several 1/2" plugs from a new found friend.

We already have a 5g reef, which my little plugs have been growing within, but I really want it to be an eventual show piece. So in thinking of what to do with the little frags, while they grow big and strong, I decided to add them to a 2.5g tank I was able to get and began adding off the shelf micro parts.

The Project:

Currently, I have an extra 12" reef light laying around. It's not the perfect spectrum, but it will do for a while. I also have a small skimmer pump on order as well as a little heater. The office stays fairly cold in the winter, even though this is Florida.

I drew out the lid today on an extra piece of plexiglass, to be cut tomorrow, and this will form the new lid. The bottom will be a mix of numerous small frags, a couple plug holders and about a cup of live sand.

Next week will probably include the addition of some water so the cycling can begin. I have already begun soaking the rocks in an established system to jump start everything.

The tank is set up, front to back, like a peninsula at 12x6x6. Later improvements will be some form of plug rack down either side and the lower center will be my base stock to propagate from. I have a sorta verbal agreement with an LFS who will swap me frags for new colors or species when this gets rolling in 6-12 months.

The Corals:

This will be a 80% softies tank. The local Zoas are not the most colorful so that is a definite prospect as well as GSP and Xenia. These seem to always be sold out locally to new reefers because of their ease and cost.

I plan to segregate the tank into several 3x6 sections, seperated buy some sand. I assume the natural growth pattern will become a partial barrier for things to stay in thier place. I do want to include some height in the little space with Duncans and some waving hands.

The Plan:

I will be using water from the changes on my reef tank, so it should be a little "dirty" and full of nutrients. I am going to let everything expand and split naturally for now and not cut things. This should help them cover the rockmspace I am providing. There will be a stiff center flow from back to front.

I am thinking we will stay away from any fish in this tank. Difficulty in feeding when away or weekends. Maybe a few sexy shrimp and hermits to scatter around and play.

I will be posting pictures, once I get them taken. I am curious if anyone else has really tried this before. I don't feel like there is much finacial risk because the entire project will be of the ground under $20. Also, I have no expectation of making any cash.

I wanted something nice, as a focal point in my office, and it doubled as a way to grow out some tiny frags before being placed in my nano reef tank.

Comments, opinion and words of encouragement are happily accepted.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting project!

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporary weekend delay.
4-Oct.jpg

First pictures are delayed until next week but filter set, timer and micro heater arrive tomorrow. Sand and some fragging rock are starting week (2) in the live tank so hopefully by week (3) everything will cycle quick. Already have 5 softies ready to be rehomed. Happy veterans day weekend to all.

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, salt water is mixed and will be added soon. I also shut down my previous build thread, which had some history of my experiences in saltwater. Anyone interested can find it here:
Additional updates are coming soon, but in the interim, visit our social media to see all content here:
20230916_145358_0000.png

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some weekend close ups for some of my little friends. The Stylo has grown over and now connecting to the underlying rocks. The little reef parameters came out nearly perfect. Can't wait to stock up the littlest salty reef at the office.
20231203_122544.jpg
20231203_122549.jpg
20231203_122619.jpg
20231203_125530.jpg

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I sat and stared in disbelief this morning. I received the news that the littlest salty reef will be getting a new pico light for Christmas. Order is submitted and awaiting delivery this weekend. Next week will be a game changer for the little tank. Thank you again to Reef Breeders and Reef2Reef. Now trying to figure out how to upgrade the big brother tank at home.
Screenshot_20231212_171627_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas miracle win, arrived last night. Upboxed, installed and lit like a tree!!!

Attachments

• 20231219_075056.jpg
    20231219_075056.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231219_075107.jpg
    20231219_075107.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231219_080441.jpg
    20231219_080441.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231219_080520.jpg
    20231219_080520.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new light! Looks great on your tank!
Thank you, I'm currently trying to figure out how to reconstruct my lid a little bit. It was homemade and doesn't exactly fit right. I have some mini aquaculture tiles coming this week so I can start growing some softies.

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little updated pic from my littlest Salty reef. Lots of little random frags under the recently win Reef Breeder Pico light. Has been running like a champ. Picking up another handful of zoa frags next week.

20231227_103128.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back